Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

I know we’re not supposed to say this out loud because it’s so outrageous to suggest that ISIS and American conservatives might have anything in common. And obviously the level of outrageous and murderous violence perpetrated by ISIS has no parallel in the American political system–but that’s also because of the secular counterweight of civil society and constitutional democracy. Culturally, there are a lot of striking similarities between the conservative reactionary ethos in both the western and the Islamic worlds.

Hate evolution? check.

Hate sexually liberated and empowered women? Check.

Love guns and hate gays? Check.

Hate big liberal government? Check.

Believe that society should be organized according to religious principles and that secular people should have no right to curtail religious “freedom”? Check.

Want to empower down-home rural principles against those corrupt city bubble dwellers? Check.

Believe in eye-for-an-eye retributive justice? Check.

Love to sport big Duck Dynasty-style beards? Check.

Just how much quacking do we need to see here before we acknowledge they’re just differing species of the same family of ducks?

(Source: washingtonmonthly.com)

Posted - August 23, 2016

Responses

Outstanding!!  Positively outstanding!

As for myself, I choose which trolls to feed, and this one isn't worth the effort.

September 1, 2016 2:29 AM MDT

So did liberals...once upon a time. :-)

September 1, 2016 2:30 AM MDT

It wasn't.  Individuals such as the OP LIVE to cause others pain.  It's simply what they do.

September 1, 2016 2:30 AM MDT

Indeed!

September 1, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

September 1, 2016 2:33 AM MDT

LOOK WHO'S HERE!

Such civility Mr...

I see you missed me so much you had to find one of my older posts where your friend Bozette had left some comments. Sure to have your alibi in place talking about me in third person AGAIN.

So sweet of you to show your promised courtesy, and in such well-mannered a way. Have a lovely day.

September 1, 2016 7:29 AM MDT

• are you in pain? if so, that's quite unfortunate, not to mention very unnecessary.

the OP stated that her opinion did not align completely with the list your friend, that you are so passive-aggressively trying to defend, took offense to. the OP also provided the source of said list.

"obviously the level of outrageous and murderous violence perpetrated by ISIS has no parallel in the American political system–but that’s also because of the secular counterweight of civil society and constitutional democracy."

"(Source: washingtonmonthly.com)"

if any "assuming" is done, logic would dictate that the OP's opinion would be that we have two political forces of extreme in the U.S. that, at least, partially keep each other in check.

another great way to keep them in check is to consistently scrutinize the constantly changing political arena of 'performers'. the sanctity of our civil rights are well worth the uncomfortable comparison/dialogue, but that's just my opinion.

September 1, 2016 1:03 PM MDT