Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What are M2M and IOT, and how are they different from standard Client-Server or Peer-to-Peer models?

What are M2M and IOT, and how are they different from standard Client-Server or Peer-to-Peer models?

So, I'm hearing a lot about "Machine to machine" and "Internet of Things", but I'm having trouble understanding them. Are they simply new marketing terms for existing TCP/IP-based protocols, or are they more complex than that? I've read up on them on Wikipedia, but it doesn't make much sense to me outside of being a fancy name for network communications.

Posted - August 28, 2016

Responses

M2M isn't all that different from either of the two paradigms.  Only IOT is different, but mainly because every refrigerator or pair of pants doesn't get to be a peer--yet. When they start multiplexing ID chips in everything you buy, the phat lady will have well and truly sung on privacy.

...Oh, and all of them will be working over BPL once it's refined.  You'll literally never be able to escape the Panopticon. Everything you own--and everything everybody else owns--will become a wireless modem-router.

So...are ya scared yet?  If you're paying attention you jolly well should be.

August 29, 2016 12:49 AM MDT

• Speak American!

Spare me all this Medical Mumbo Jumbo, how long do I have??

August 29, 2016 8:24 AM MDT