Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you have a favorite font, a lucky letter, preferred prose, selected syntax or best brochure? ~

Do you have a favorite font, a lucky letter, preferred prose, selected syntax or best brochure? ~

Posted - February 8, 2020

Responses

I prefer Arial 10 pt.  On line, I just go with whatever is the default.  
      February 8, 2020 8:11 AM MST

I guess my all time favorite font is Studebaker.  I like the 1920-1930's fonts. It depends on what it is used for.  

Oh, but wait, I just discovered not everyone's "Studebaker" font is the one I like. I'll find a sample.
    This post was edited by . at February 8, 2020 9:06 PM MST
      February 8, 2020 11:14 AM MST

No, none of them.
      February 8, 2020 12:12 PM MST

For books, newspapers etc, serif fonts such as Times Roman, Baskerville and Garamond.

Not sans-serif fonts like Ariel, which have a place in signs, diagram annotations, text-messages and similar uses.

Although it is subjective, generally, discreetly-serif fonts are easier on the eye when in a solid block of text.

My least favourite - one I find downright ugly, cheap and tacky-looking -  is Century Gothic, a sans-serif face characterised by very thin lines, no tails and the letter "t" being a bland cross. I call it "American Kindergarten" from seeing it first in printed material from the USA, which uses the term 'kindergarten', and it resembling an infants'-school pupil's first writing.

The daftest though, is the "corporate font" nonsense of a company not merely using a single font available to anyone, but paying some parasitical "branding consultancy" £umpteen-000 to invent its own. One of my past employers fell for that. Whilst we all had it on our office PCs, if you sent a document to another company - such as a customer - to be printed there, it could only be in whatever font the recipient used.   It did not even look original or individual. It was virtually indistinguishable from Ariel!
      February 10, 2020 2:17 PM MST