Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some dive in head first/springboard into the water. Others sit down on the edge of the pool and slide in feet first. Which do you do? WHY?

Some dive in head first/springboard into the water. Others sit down on the edge of the pool and slide in feet first. Which do you do? WHY?

Posted - February 13, 2020

Responses

I stay away from pools altogether, as I can't swim and I'm not too fond of water.

Metaphorically speaking, however, I sit down on the edge, then slowly and carefully slide my feet in.  I like to know what I'm getting into before Ii do, and control it at each step of the way.
      February 13, 2020 2:51 PM MST

I learned how to swim in my 30's Shuhak. Well at least I learned how not to fear the water and discovered I don't sink. I'm very buoyant. That was a revelation to me. But only water in a pool. The ocean is very scary and I never would out beyond my depth. But I am definitely like you. Only rarely have I gone in too quickly and mostly regretted it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Valentine's Friday to you! :)
      February 14, 2020 2:11 AM MST

Ever "floated" in Great Salt Lake?---one floats "high" due to the greater weight of the salt water our bodies displace (= buoyant force).
      February 14, 2020 2:34 AM MST

My mom made us take swimming lessons when we were young.  I failed the basic first course and was declared hopeless by the Red Cross (they gave the lessons).  I don't like water in my face or over my head (where I cant control it).  I'm fine in a 3'-4' pool or a shallow river, but when water gets up to my neck I panic.  I tried to overcome this, but to no avail.  I'm fine with letting the ocean waves lap over my feet, but nothing more than knee high. 
      February 14, 2020 10:33 AM MST

I rarely swim in pools, my eyes can't handle chlorine very well (possibly age? I had no problem as a kid). Ocean, I'll wade up to about hip deep, then dive through a wave. Unless I'm paddling a board.
      February 14, 2020 2:28 AM MST

Depends on the depth of the pool.....
      February 14, 2020 2:31 AM MST