Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is curbside recycling dying in YOUR neighborhood? Reason given is that it is TOO COSTLY TO CONTINUE. Still curbside recycle where you live??

Is curbside recycling dying in YOUR neighborhood? Reason given is that it is TOO COSTLY TO CONTINUE. Still curbside recycle where you live??

Posted - February 16, 2020

Responses

We have never had it. Anywhere I have ever lived. 
      February 16, 2020 5:02 AM MST

Really m2c? We have THREE trash bins...one for regular trash one for recycling and one for yard waste. So far so good in Hemet. Pickup is weekly. Gee how sad is that? Where do you recycle? Is there a place for that conveniently located near you? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 17, 2020 5:38 AM MST
      February 16, 2020 8:23 AM MST

There is a local recycle center. 
      February 16, 2020 9:57 AM MST

There is in  Hemet too. On the same lot where we shop at WALMART. That's where we take those items with CRV to get our money back. They don't take just any item them. ONLY THOSE WITH CRV's. Thank you for your reply m2c. This post was edited by RosieG at February 17, 2020 6:14 AM MST
      February 17, 2020 5:39 AM MST

• We have a great recycling program where I live.  Regular curbside pick-up as well as numerous recycling centers conveniently located for drop-off.  Living in a big city helps and considering the amount of taxes I pay I would be rather incensed if they didn't offer such services.  At least I feel like I am getting something in return for the money I pay in.  And being a good steward of the planet just feels good.

February 16, 2020 6:10 AM MST

That is awesome good Twink. We rent a house in Hemet and have always enjoyed the system here. We've been here for 12 years. We have 3 trash bins...one for trash one for recycling and one for green waste (tree and plant trimmings). I think we are not in any danger of it stopping. We also have a bottle recycle place on the premises of the Walmart we go to where we recycle things for which we pay a CRV and just get back the money we advanced at purchase. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 16, 2020 8:25 AM MST

We have it here, but we have to pay for it. We have trash and recycling charges on our water bill. At least water is cheap here.
      February 16, 2020 8:26 AM MST

We pay for sewer and trash pickup too. There is a recycle center for those items on which we pay a CRV. We get back what we paid at point of purchase. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee.
      February 17, 2020 5:41 AM MST

This is an unfortunate fact of modern global capitalism. Because there are a myriad of hidden subsidies in the production of goods and because automated factories make resource extraction/goods fabrication so efficient, it is difficult to create markets for recycled goods which would drive recycling efforts.

I recently ran into a dramatic example of this phenomenon. I washed and dried my bed pillows at a laundromat, which cost me about $7-$8 total. Meanwhile, down the street at Wal-Mart you can buy brand-new bed pillows (not the same as mine, but still...) for less than $3.

Until we undo the subsidies and/or DEMAND that producers account for the cost of disposal/recycling in the prices of their products, recycling will always be on an uncertain footing.
      February 16, 2020 9:02 AM MST

I think at its heart recycling is an honorable thing. That it gets corrupted here and there is sad. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative example SP. Real-life examples is always very helpful! :)
      February 17, 2020 5:44 AM MST

I have to drive to recycle. Therefore I don't .  I don't have the time nor the energy.   I work every day and it is all I can do to even keep my house clean.  I am 70.  Give me a break God.
      February 16, 2020 9:52 AM MST

There is a recycling center in our local WALMART shopping center. But we go to Walmart early when it opens at 6am. The recycling center doesn't open until 9 when we are long gone. So every so often Jim schleps bags of bottles there and recycles. I use the recycle ticket when I shop at Walmart. It's always good for $5-$10 bucks depending on how often he recycles. It's 2 miles from home and we don't work so we find the time. Thank you for your reply Sharon.
      February 17, 2020 5:46 AM MST

This is terrible, but I am like many Americans.   My lifestyle makes it a burden to recycle.  There is nothing close.  No bins.  The nearest Wal-Mart is a good 20 mins from me.  And it is like that around here.  I am not driving around with this stuff.  I tried it when OS and I were roommates and it was a huge hassle.  With one person?  Forget it.  

I feel guilty all the time.  
      February 17, 2020 9:18 AM MST

One person doing everything is never easy Sharon. Feeling guilty because you are just one peson doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm sure in many ways you are cognizant of trying to minimize extravagant and flagrant disregard for our environment. When you do have more time I know you will fill it wisely. Gosh if I felt guilty about all the things I should do but don't that' s all I'd be doing. I have to prioritize and decide and choose even though I have Jim to do a lot of things. When I did live alone we had a large recycling center in the Ralph's Shopping center and I lived within easy walking distance of it. I shopped there so that's where I did the recycling. That was before I met Jim and that was when you could recycle anything practically on every street corner. Well that's an exaggeration but it was very convenient because no matter which market I went to it also had recycling there. They used to have machine...glass and cans. The machine could read the size of it and gave you back money accordingly. It was like machine at Vegas! You hit and the coins poured out! The machines were located at the entrance so you didn't even have to search for it. Because it was there and convenient people recycled all the time. They didn't put the things in bags and save up until they could lug them to the store. They'd take 'em back the next time they were which was at least every week. I have no idea why that stopped. They also had bins for you to recycle your newspapers. It worked like a charmge back in the day. Thank you for your reply! Deguilt! Okey dokey?
      February 17, 2020 9:36 AM MST

People who understand the innate utility of good principles (unlike those who only see "policies" as utilitarian) tend to feel a tinge of guilt when other (perhaps higher) principles make it impossible to do act in accordance with both of the principles and thus find themselves on the horns of a dilemma.

The guilt is a healthy reaction, but it's a simply a tribute momentarily paid to the concept of the necessity of principles in our lives and there is no need to dwell there.

I love sild (a small immature herring, especially one caught in northern European seas) sardines packed in olive oil straight from the can.

My wife has hyperosmia (a heightened and hypersensitive sense of smell) and those sardines drive her insane.

So the can and lid go into a Ziploc and then straight into the trash when I am finished---and by now, with no twinge of guilt on my part.  
      February 17, 2020 1:21 PM MST

Not to be indelicate here tom but do you gargle afterwards so she doesn't smell it on your breath? As for guilt I think it is inescapable.  Isn't there a saying about the mind is willing but the body is weak? We have good intentions but sometimes they get in the way of what we WANT. So guess what gets trashed? I think some are born guilt-free. Sociopaths for instance. I wonder if the "guilt" mechanism can die on the vine if it is constantly ignored? Does guilt atrophy if not exercised like muscles do? Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Wednesday to you! :)
      February 19, 2020 3:27 AM MST

Another topic of interest---guilt vs shame  (which I will not explore at the moment) but I have a few observations after the italics.

Although many people use the two words "guilt" and "shame" interchangeably, from a psychological perspective, they actually refer to different experiences. Guilt and shame sometimes go hand in hand; the same action may give rise to feelings of both shame and guilt, where the former reflects how we feel about ourselves and the latter involves an awareness that our actions have injured someone else. In other words, shame relates to self; guilt to others. I think it's useful to preserve this distinction, even though the dictionary definitions often blur it.

Guilt: a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.

Shame: the painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc., done by oneself or another.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shame/201305/the-difference-between-guilt-and-shame

I eat them after I she goes to bed, and I can gargle in the morning---she's only ever commented when I just threw the empty can uncovered into the trash.

There is healthy shame and there is unhealthy shame. There is also appropriate guilt and inappropriate guilt.  And wanting something can also be appropriate or inappropriate as well.

Suffice it to say that the superego can be reprogrammed with regard to all three "reactions," which would suggest that I think as a first approximation to your question about atrophy and guilt that it is not subject to atrophy.

Regards, 
      February 21, 2020 4:31 PM MST

We have a couple stores locally with those can/bottle recycle machines.
    They put the machines on the outside of the store, but in a covered area, and it's open 24/7.
    Of course, the only time the machines break down are when the store is closed.  lol
      February 17, 2020 1:39 PM MST

Isn't that always the way things go Walt? Years ago there'd be those machines outside EVERY grocery store. They disappeared and I can't figger out why. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 19, 2020 3:28 AM MST

We have fortnightly collection of mixed recyclables (paper, cardboard, plastic bottles and cans). Garden waste collections (6 months a year) have recently started. The Council did glass collections for a few years and then stopped, but it's not such a big drawback for me because there are many bottle banks within 10 minutes drive.
      February 16, 2020 11:58 AM MST

In our recycle trash barrel we place cans and bottles and paper goods. We can co-mingle all of that. Yard waste is trimmings from the yard of course and that's all that goes into that barrel. And tras ish the usual kind of trash. Then we also have a recycle center close to us to which we take those items on which we paid a CRV fee. We just get back what we pay extra at point of purchase. I think your situation is EXCELLENT Rev. It seems "they" try to make it easy for you to recycle. Thank you for your thoughtful helpful and informative reply. I appreciate it! Happy Monday to you m'dear! :)
      February 17, 2020 5:50 AM MST

Thriving here, and my own County prides itself on being among the UK's best at it.

Fortnightly for salvageable: paper, card, glass, metals and plastics (all in one bin); the alternating fortnights for land-fill waste that cannot be recovered. 

Neither of these is intended for food waste, which is collected separately again. I don't know when because what little food waste I produce is almost all vegetable material which I put on the garden compost-heap.

Larger items - including electrical scrap, waste oil, old furniture and garden waste - can be collected but I am not sure if the Council offers that service. It does though operate 7-day/week public skip yards for such waste.

+++

The real problem we do have in the UK is with fly-tipping by criminals , some working as organised gangs, and they can be dangerous people, too.

If you have to use a waste-collection company, which charges for its services, it has to abide by very strict disposal-control laws and those laws also mean you are responsible for ensuring that. Whilst it is not really fair to expect private householder even if trying to stay legal, to audit whatever convincing "certificate" they may be shown - it IS fair to expect them to have engaged a reputable, licensed waste-carrier in the first place!   

So criminal gangs are cashing in by fooling less-responsible or simply naïve households into taking away the waste for a fee, then dumping it in some rural layby, roadside woods or farm field. 

All land is owned by someone, and it is also law that that the owner, be it the tax-payers via the local council or some unfortunate farmer, has to clear the mess in a proper fashion at tax-payers' or his expense. That can be considerable, especially if the refuse contains controlled materials such as asbestos, chemicals or old tyres.

It is extremely hard to track the crooks down of course, because they generate no audit-trails, collect the refuse using false-plated vans and dump it where and when no-one is looking, such as in a country lane late at night. 

I wondered about a pick-up I saw this morning, with brightly-coloured signs saying ANY OLD IRON across a photo of a heap of old "iron" - but giving not even a portable phone-number. I notices too that its tail-gate was "secured" closed with a ratchet-strap, as its proper clips were missing. Metals of course are recoverable, but the margin on mixed "iron" (steel) is very low.
      February 17, 2020 10:17 AM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative reply Durdle. I appreciate it. Our trash used to be picked up by the City of Hemet when we first moved here. Then at some point it contracted that out so for years now we pay at outside contractor. The pickup is weekly on the same day. Of course if they are closed on a national holiday we get bumped a day. That "fly-tipping" sounds awful. I suppose unscrupulous occurs whereever possible to dupe trick con scam others. Ubiquitous universal inescapable. Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 19, 2020 3:33 AM MST

Yes, we still have curbside single stream recycling here in North Texas.

Single-stream (also known as “fully commingled” or "single-sort") recycling refers to a system in which all paper fibers, plastics, metals, and other containers are mixed in a collection truck, instead of being sorted by the depositor into separate commodities (newspaper, paperboard, corrugated fiberboard, plastic

But this is worth a read:

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/single-stream-recycling-and-china-throwing-recycling-markets-into-chaos?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7fjmLXZ5wIViobACh1PKA6hEAAYAiAAEgIUSfD_BwE

February 17, 2020 1:30 PM MST