Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why aren't ALL POLS local and federal limited to TWO TERMS? Why allow sinaturds to ply their lies and steal us blind for decades?

Why aren't ALL POLS local and federal limited to TWO TERMS? Why allow sinaturds to ply their lies and steal us blind for decades?

Spread it around. Let all the viles get their turn at the public trough so they can get a share too?

I don't know about you but I think two terms is entirely long enough for them to become obscenely wealthy and do carnage and damage to the country. Give 'em all a chance. Why not? What could it hurt?

Posted - February 17, 2020

Responses

Here, here! 

How about limiting the terms to 2 years as well?  Keep circulating fresh "blood" in there, get some different ideas and viewpoints (other than money).  Even the human body replaces all its blood every few months.  
      February 17, 2020 12:59 PM MST

I like YOUR IDEA even better Shuhak! Sign me up for that! Think the hold the corrupt have on legislating will make sure that never happens? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 18, 2020 2:31 AM MST

Because it takes a while for a newly elected official to learn how to do his job and become proficient enough at it to be a useful public servant.

February 17, 2020 1:05 PM MST

I was waiting for the punchline tom but there was none. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 18, 2020 2:31 AM MST

A minimum term can be a good idea---a maximum term is probably a good idea as well---Trump and Mitch are the best arguments for term limits---In Trump's case one could argue that his election is a tragic anomaly from the beginning.  Moscow Mitch's presence suggests that their should be a term limit to act as a fail-safe against someone who has sold his soul to the devil remaining as the Republican Majority leader. 

I'm the Sec-Treasurer for a local non-profit---I'm one of a number of elected officers---The minimum term for an elected official is 2 years---specifically because it takes that long to get good at your position---and then you can run again in the biennial election if you so choose---(This is my 4th term.) This post was edited by tom jackson at February 21, 2020 4:46 PM MST
      February 21, 2020 4:38 PM MST

To date, no one has ever offered me a coherent argument why term limits are necessary when politicians regularly face reelection.

Term limits are almost always offered up as a magic talisman which will somehow stop the influence of money in politics, the advantages of incumbency, and/or the problems of corruption and self-dealing.

I do not see how term limits will automatically do this. Instead, I observe in the real world that what term limits do is enhance the power of entrenched unelected bureaucrat (because they remain as the politicians churn), they produce politicians who are running for their next office while neglecting the duties of the one they're about to be term-limited out of or politicians who increase their graft and corruption because they'll need a high-paying job SOMEWHERE once their terms are up, and it denies the public the enduring benefit of politicians who are good at what they do.

If you want to fix the problems of money's influence on our politics, or the advantages of incumbency, or political corruption, you fix those things be addressing them directly, not by hoping that churning different people into the same broken system will somehow fix the system.

February 21, 2020 7:20 PM MST