Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "60% of Amazon sales allegedly are third-party sales for which Amazon is not held accountable. Scary or just the way things are?

"60% of Amazon sales allegedly are third-party sales for which Amazon is not held accountable. Scary or just the way things are?

Posted - February 18, 2020

Responses

I do not know the % of 3rd party sells.  
    But I do know Amazon will correct and refund your money from any transaction on their site.  I have used it more than once.   
      February 18, 2020 7:53 AM MST

I don't buy off the internet m2c. So I don't know.  I heard that Amazon is not responsible for everything sold on its site. I just repeated what I heard. I have zero knowledge about it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 18, 2020 12:06 PM MST

I would not use them if they did not honor their site. I now only buy if it is a "prime" item. 2 day shipping. They can ship it to me before I have time to go to the store and get it. Or even where to find it.  The only store I have had issues with 3 party online returns is Walmart. I did see a sign in store recently that says that has been fixed. But I have no experience to say for certain. I have had issues with in store returns as well at Walmart. But that is another topic.
      February 18, 2020 2:22 PM MST

How far away do you live from a shopping center m2c? I have a feeling you are not that close so in that case I can understand shopping online. It is also a godsend for shutins. AND you work so the time you have to go out and about is limited. Mine isn't. Though even when I worked I was not a fan of buying online. It makes sense cost-wise too. We have NEVER had any problems returning anything anywhere including Walmart. They don't even ask WHY. If you have the receipt they take it without question. EVEN IF YOU DON'T  have a receipt you can return a purchase up to 3 times in a year without a receipt. Of course the store has to sell the item but we have had no issues with returns. Costco is famously good for that. Your life is a lot more active than ours. You have more obligations on your time than we have on ours so I get why you try to fit in whatever helps. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply m2c! :)
      February 19, 2020 3:07 AM MST

It is about time. I work full time plus in the summer. There are items I need for work that I do not even know where I could buy locally. Some that are not availble locally at all. 
    But even if it is sometimes I just do not feel like going to the store.
      February 19, 2020 4:24 AM MST

As with any store or warehouse, Amazon cannot cary everything.  So to have a larger product base, Amazon contracts with many different vendors.  For a fee and a percent of the sales revenue, Amazon gives these outside vendors a larger platform to sell their product (which is a plus for them).  While Amazon will stand behind what they sell, they cannot vouch for all of their 3rd-party sales.  If they have too many problems with one of these vendors, they will drop them (after all, its Amazon's reputation that's at stake).  Given that these other vendors have varying policies (returns, guarantees, etc.), Amazon cannot implement all of them.  Many times they will/have to refer a customer to the outside company.  
    Amazon states that customers should check into the company they are doing business with on the Amazon site before they purchase an item.  Although it may be in small print, Amazon always tells its customers who a product will ship from.   A big clue is if "Prime" doesn't apply to a certain product (although not always).   As with any sale, caveat emptor.
      February 18, 2020 9:59 AM MST

I don't buy anything on the internet. Most folks love the bargains they get. I love bargains but even more than that I want to see touch feel validate verify what I am buying. Only hands on affords me that and if I pay more for it so what? That's my style. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak. Do you buys tons of stuff on the internet?
      February 18, 2020 12:08 PM MST

I prefer to purchase via the internet as that way I don't have to deal with people.  Unfortunately, due to other circumstances I cant buy everything online.  For example, I cant buy shoes online as my feet are different sizes (I can barely find any at a brick and mortar store). 
    Since this is a small town, a lot of things aren't available here.  After Radio Shack left, the only place to buy the type of items they sold (wire, adapters, and such) is online (Amazon).  Last month the local appliance store closed down (owner retired).  So now it's either order online or take your life in your hands and drive 30 miles (one way) down to Best Buy or Home Depot (not a safe drive).  Yes, there are some times when I like to handle/see things before I buy them, but that option is getting less and less feasible as time goes by. 
      February 18, 2020 12:32 PM MST

I totally can relate to that. It's funny weird Shuhak. Dealing with people out and about never bothers me. ESPECIALLY when I'm shopping for groceries. That is my environment..my happy place. I can feel kinda puny but once I'm in the market I just perk up and feel better. I think I may be at my "best" when shopping for food. Also in the olden days book stores and kitchen equipment stores were favorites of mine. And when the outlet mall in Cabazon opened over 25 years ago I was in heaven! I could be surrounded by tons of people but I never had to engage with them at all. I'd look at everything, make my selections, wait in line, pay for them and take them to the car. The first few months I went out there EVERY WEEKEND and the bargains were fantastic! I'd buy for my son and my sister too as well as myself. When I visited my son who lived in northern California at that time his bath towels and mine and my sister's were all the same. I bought 'em and shipped 'em to him and gave my sister hers. It was so much fun. But now that outlet mall is basically a high fashion apparel heaven for those who are into that. Bores me. We haven't visited in a long time. Last time was so disappointing. They used to have a book outlet and a lot of kitchen equipment stores. Everything changes all the time..not for the better. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 19, 2020 3:17 AM MST