Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » SMART PEOPLE get tested for HIV to see if they are infected. Why not do the same for COVID 19? Isn't that smarter than not?

SMART PEOPLE get tested for HIV to see if they are infected. Why not do the same for COVID 19? Isn't that smarter than not?

Posted - March 13, 2020

Responses

They do not get tested for HIV if they have never been exposed (never had sex or not a druggie). 
      March 13, 2020 7:36 AM MDT

SIGH. Thanks.
      March 14, 2020 2:25 AM MDT

If they suspect they have come into close proximity with someone who has HIV, they get tested so they can be treated.  With COVID-19, there is no cure or treatment just yet other than the way you would treat the flu if the symptoms are not serious.  However, you would want to know so you can stay away from anyone else and not transit the virus.
      March 13, 2020 2:54 PM MDT

Since folks can infect others without being symptomatic or knowing whether or not they were in close proximity with an infected someone it's a gamble. No 'cure" and no vaccine for OVER A YEAR OR MORE despte what HOAX insists on saying as he continues to lie. There could be millions of Americans who are infected right now who don't know. Since HOAX wasted months ridiculing COVID 19 this turnaround is hollow and too little too late. The mortality rate is ten times that of the flu. So what's an old person to do? Stay away from everyone as long as possible. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 14, 2020 2:29 AM MDT

That's pretty much what is happening.  Yes, it is a gamble, but we can't be so afraid that we have to hole up in our homes and not leave until this passes.  We just have to be as cautious as we can, wash our hands frequently, stay as far away from crowds as we can and hope to make it through.  I was going to go food shopping yesterday, but everywhere I went, the parking lots were jam packed so I came home.  I have food that would take me through two weeks, but I could use bread, milk and eggs.  I may just go to a small deli and get them.  Since I'm off work for the next two weeks, I might try the supermarket mid-week.  
      March 14, 2020 9:28 AM MDT

Well our next trek to the grocery store is set for Tuesday, our usual day. We'll be there at 6am when it opens but if the parking lot is jammed full we will just go home. We have enough food for weeks. I'm cooking every day now. Today I made white bean chicken chili. Yesterday I cooked a package of Great Northern beans. I've got about a dozen bags of different beans and beans are very healthy. Got the recipe off the internet. Also garlic bread and spinach salad. We haven't done takeout in a couple of weeks. Before COVID 19 when we went out shopping and errandings we 'd do the takeout. But we decided to just go out when it is NECESSARY and otherwise stay home. Of course we are in the high risk group. I cancelled a couple of routine doctor appointments. No biggie. Jim usually plays golf on Saturdays the golf course in our community but decided to not play today. He called his best friend who plays with him and his friend Alan told him the golf "scramble" is cancelled. So it's hitting our daily lives slowly but surely. I think maybe being outside and not crammed together isn't so dangerous but this is a retirement community and you have to be 55 or over to live here. So we'll see. I wonder how long it will be? Months maybe? Anyway I like that you're off work for two weeks. No riding to work with strangers! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 14, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

Sounds as though you have everything under control. :)  My next doc appointments aren't until April  I'll see how things are and decide then.  They're just follow-ups, so I can re-schedule if need be.  All our lives are going to be impacted in one way or another, it's just a matter of to what extent.  
      March 14, 2020 9:43 AM MDT

Exactly! Jim and I are so lucky! We're retired. Kids are grown and out on their own. It's just the two of us. all things considered we caught a very lucky break. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 14, 2020 9:54 AM MDT

Let's hope that our governments - federal, state and local - take measures so that the elderly, the disabled and children don't fall through the cracks.  NYC is stepping up to do their share.  The mayor has just announced that food programs will continue and they are making plans so that kids whose school are closed still get meals, courts will not issue eviction notices or new warrants of eviction for those who can't pay their rent due to lack of paychecks, cleaning public facilities will be done three times a week, etc.  We all need to do our part and be responsible in what we do.
      March 14, 2020 10:03 AM MDT

I thought Governor Cuomo did a masterful job yesterday explaining the measures he is taking for his state. VERY PRESIDENTIAL L. Wish he or someone like him were president now instead of the quack we have. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! STAY SAFE! :)
      March 17, 2020 2:51 AM MDT

I'm pretty happy with the way he's handled this.  Certainly better than the lump.  Happy Tuesday. :)
      March 17, 2020 4:22 PM MDT

i believe there is a limited amount of tests. here in Ontario I don’t think they are testing anyone who they don’t consider high risk, they say if you think you have it to stay home and self isolate for two weeks 
      March 17, 2020 6:24 PM MDT