Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Does your pet have separation anxiety?

Does your pet have separation anxiety?

If it does, how do you handle it?

Posted - June 30, 2016

Responses

• Definitely.

Ari and I can't go away unless we have someone to replace my role with my animals.

June 30, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

I don't have any pets at the moment but when my (now ex-) wife and I had two dogs, they did sometimes have separation anxiety issues.

The worst was when we first adopted our beagle Nellie. We arranged to do it over a holiday weekend so she could have 2-3 consecutive days with us at home. But then we had to go back to work, so we put Nellie outside with a water bowl and some toys and went off to our jobs.

Nellie then proceeded (according to neighbors) to howl essentially the entire day. Between bouts of howling, she destroyed the screen door to our patio (both by tearing the screen mesh and denting the frame with bites). I don't remember how we hit upon the solution, but it turned out just leaving the patio door open a little (and, later, providing a doggie door) was enough to keep Nellie OK with being left alone (even if she didn't really like it).

Pairing up pets so they have a companion even when people are not around is good way to help prevent separation anxiety issues (assuming one has the ability to take care of two pets).

June 30, 2016 2:17 PM MDT

That makes it inconvenient or expensive to leave them alone
      June 30, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

Those are good suggestions. Thanks!!
      June 30, 2016 2:31 PM MDT

• I have one friend who knows the routines and can help. I look after her donkeys full time so I don't feel embarrassed to ask, but she has a life of her own and is not always available.

But the truth is we can rarely afford to travel anyway, and even then, only a short distance. Being away for a few hours causes no problems for us, but we don't have dogs.

Dogs definitely need companionship or something to keep them occupied.

June 30, 2016 2:47 PM MDT

I'm not aware. I haven't left her alone yet. Maybe I'm the one having separation anxiety? :-)
      June 30, 2016 5:20 PM MDT

•   June 30, 2016 5:25 PM MDT

As soon as she sees me, her entire body wags...not just her tail.  She then charges me and jumps on me, wrapping her front legs around my neck.  I'm not joking.  It looks like she's hugging me.

How do I handle it?  I hug her back.  Look at that face.  How can you not.  ;-)

June 30, 2016 5:47 PM MDT

• Gorgeous girl! :)

June 30, 2016 6:24 PM MDT

• I think they do. I know I do when I'm separated from them
      June 30, 2016 6:30 PM MDT

• not much, unless it's a few days or more.

June 30, 2016 11:57 PM MDT

:-)
      July 1, 2016 12:25 AM MDT

i dont have a pet but maybe you should get him another pet to keep him company

July 2, 2016 7:59 PM MDT