Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Since my BAC (blood alcohol content) usually hovers around the legal driving limit, will any virus entering my body be destroyed?

Since my BAC (blood alcohol content) usually hovers around the legal driving limit, will any virus entering my body be destroyed?

Sort of a synthetic immune system. Am I a drunk genius?

Posted - March 21, 2020

Responses

I think you know better. Alcohol consumption stresses the immune system, and can render it weaker against infection
      March 21, 2020 8:49 PM MDT

I know. The question was in jest...as usual.
      March 22, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

How cool would it be if it WERE true, though. 
      March 22, 2020 1:57 PM MDT

I'm sure you're only joking as usual, but Don Barzini is right.

COVID-19 enters via your respiratory system.
    You can get it by breathing in the droplets in the outbreath of someone who has it or is infected but is still asymptomatic.
    It's also highly probably that if your hands touch surfaces that have been breathed on by an infected person, and then you touch your face or nose, you may inhale droplets.

The virus then enters your lungs.

So you see, it has nothing to do with what you drink or what flows in your blood.
      March 21, 2020 10:50 PM MDT

Yes, I am joking as usual. Ask Ari about Jewish sense of humour.
      March 22, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

I'm sure you're only joking as usual, but Don Barzini is right.

COVID-19 enters via your respiratory system.
    You can get it by breathing in the droplets in the outbreath of someone who has it or is infected but is still asymptomatic, especially if they sneeze or cough near you.
    It's also highly probable that if your hands touch surfaces that have been breathed on by an infected person, and then you touch your face or nose, you may inhale droplets.

The virus then enters your lungs.

If you're unlucky enough to catch the virus, it's possible to get severe complications such as acute respiratory distress (not being able to breathe) and septic shock (the virus infecting your bloodstream).
    There is no medical evidence to suggest that alcohol could prevent or cure the virus. If there was, you can be sure that experts would have broadcast the message. They do advise that alcohol can be used to wash the hands - however, it dries out the skin much faster than soap.

This post was edited by inky at March 22, 2020 1:38 PM MDT
      March 21, 2020 10:50 PM MDT

Let's test it. Anyone on here able to transmit the virus to Element?
      March 22, 2020 2:53 PM MDT

Alcohol does kill the virus so a steady drip might be a good idea.   
      March 22, 2020 6:30 PM MDT