Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Given what we’ve seen recently, what are your thoughts on cruise ships and the cruise industry?

Given what we’ve seen recently, what are your thoughts on cruise ships and the cruise industry?

What are some concerns? Would you go? 

Posted - April 5, 2020

Responses

I would not be likely to take a cruise any time in the near future.  While I understand why Miami didn't want the cruise ships docking there because of the known infected persons on board, from a humanitarian perspective, it was a terrible decision.  
      April 5, 2020 6:34 AM MDT

Hard to get off those ships, even when it is time to get off. 
      April 5, 2020 9:09 AM MDT

Can you imagine being an American and not being allowed to return home?  
      April 5, 2020 4:38 PM MDT

They lost me at Norovirus. Cruising does not appeal to me, but even if it did, it's no place for a germophobe.
      April 5, 2020 7:17 AM MDT

Absolutely. I think the cruise industry lost its mojo when it started building the megaships. Too many people, too many variables. 
      April 5, 2020 9:02 AM MDT

My opinion hasn't changed at all. I've always thought of them as giant floating petri dishes. Other than when I watched "Love Boat" as a child, I've never wanted to go on a cruise. 
      April 5, 2020 7:41 AM MDT

I think what people don’t realize is ocean voyages are fraught with potential  problems that don’t get any mention on the websites. To me, discount cruising brings a “lesser refined” demographic customer, and often their kids (snobbish I know, but it is what it is) in great numbers into a confined area. 
      April 5, 2020 9:16 AM MDT

I've been on one cruise and didn't like it very much.  I'd rather go and not be on someone else's time table.  I have no interest in a cruse at this time.  The cruise industry will suffer for a while, I think. 
      April 5, 2020 8:16 AM MDT

We got married on a Mediterranean cruise (which was glorious, to be fair) and did the Viking Danube cruise. But the current ocean cruise experience, a la Carnival, is cattle car in a can. 
      April 5, 2020 9:08 AM MDT

• I've been on cruises, but I've never liked the huge amount of people in a small area to begin with (the cruises I've been on have been smaller; I've never been on a "floating city"). Cruise ships have always been petri dishes, but it's more apparent than ever to many people now. 
      April 5, 2020 9:23 AM MDT

The cruise experience used to be a zen-like “get away from it all” kind of fantasy. Now it is more like “taking it all with you”; you and 5,000 others trapped at the Mall of America.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 5, 2020 4:44 PM MDT
      April 5, 2020 10:54 AM MDT

• My main concern is they're boring as f*ck and no way to leave. 
      April 5, 2020 11:59 AM MDT

They're floating cesspools. And they're typically filled with undesirables who wake up to stuff their faces, then drink to get off their faces, and go to sleep after punching their faces in. 
      April 5, 2020 3:03 PM MDT