Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can humans adjust to any condition? What if your job were to put toe tags on dead people all day long? Could you do it?

Can humans adjust to any condition? What if your job were to put toe tags on dead people all day long? Could you do it?

Posted - April 11, 2020

Responses

I'm not sure I could it but I think many would become accustomed to it - you'd have to remind yourself that these are dead people who need treating respectfully, and that may help you do it.

I am sure there are far worse things though, that some people have to do.
      April 11, 2020 5:28 PM MDT

Here's the backstory to that question Durdle. There was a snapshot interview yesterday with a male nurse from Kansas who traveled to New York to be of whatever help he could be. That was the job given to him. Putting toe tags on the dead. It's not something I knew existed. But I guess there are so many dying all the time and to make sure they are properly identified they are toe tagged. He looked haggard and suffering from lack of sleep. He was not complaining. He simply was sharing with us what he does daily. Gets up goes to work and toe tags the dead. How sad is that? Thank you for your reply Durdle.
      April 12, 2020 2:55 AM MDT

Yes -  a terrible situation. As a nurse you'd think he'd be on a ward, not in the mortuary. Still, perhaps he could take some comfort from knowing he was helping ensure the dead are treated with due respect, if only for their relatives' sake.  
      April 14, 2020 3:55 PM MDT

The Holocaust would suggest that---as a species---humans can; but apparently not all individual humans can.
      April 14, 2020 4:07 PM MDT

Oh yes, I think so too - not just Nazi Germany either. The Communist regimes between them killed even more, some deliberately, many by a mixture of dogmatic incompetence and sheer callousness.
      April 16, 2020 2:31 PM MDT