Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are these the musings of a sane person?

Are these the musings of a sane person?

From Axios this morning:

" 5. Lysol fires back at Trump's medical musings  

Photo: Michael Reynolds/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty Images

President Trump said at yesterday’s briefing: "I'm not a doctor. But I’m like a person that has a good you-know-what."

His medical musings prompted pushback from medical professionals after he offhandedly suggested that ultraviolet light and disinfectant might be used to fight coronavirus:

So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it.  ... upposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too.  It sounds interesting. ...
I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors ... But ... it sounds interesting to me. 

Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of Lysol, said in a statement dated today, "Improper use of Disinfectants":

• "nder no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body."

Posted - April 24, 2020

Responses

I'm not sure why the edits in the text appear.  They don't on Axios and they go away when I tried to edit. 

Not only is he not a doctor, he should refrain from playing one on TV.  Can you imagine a translator for the hearing impaired trying to sign what Trump said?
      April 24, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

Did he actually suggest to inject
    Clorox or Lysol to kill the Virus??
    This other stuff he told people to use
    ending up killing someone.
      April 24, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

No. He did not. Spunky gave the quote above. It was question. This post was edited by my2cents at April 24, 2020 10:26 AM MDT
      April 24, 2020 7:16 AM MDT

That sun light kills germs....that is a fact. 

Using disinfectant to clean the body.....it was a question not a suggestion.  We have many meds that are strange. Asprin comes from tree bark. He was asking is it possible/do we have something that could act this way.   

Sane question....yes.  It is called thinking outside the box. 

(Thank you for posting the full text. I had not found it yet.)
      April 24, 2020 7:25 AM MDT

Yes, sunlight kills germs, no doubt.  But to even question whether the chemicals in Lysol could be ingested to kill them is dangerous in the extreme.  You saw what happened with the couple who drank aquarium cleaner because it contained hydroxychloroquine, something Trump kept touting and which ultimately turned out to be false.  Yes, there are people that stupid and that very stupid man lost his life believing Trump was onto something.  
      April 24, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

They quote is "something" like that.....do we have something that could be injected to cleanse the body. 

There is a company working on using UV inside the body currently to stop infections. 

Also after the 1918 pandemic the it was said that the temp hospitals were believed to have helped more because of more "fresh air, sunlight, hygiene". And should be included in future plans to fight a pandemic. (Hygriene would have been followed in wide permanent hospitals...I assume)
      April 24, 2020 3:35 PM MDT

How will we get sunlight inside the body. If applied in massive doses to pentetrate skin, the patient would already be dead. Science rules. Too bad some folks don't get that.
      April 24, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

There is in fact a company currently working on a implant in the throax that uses UV light to fight infections.  Light also absorbed through our skin. 

A combination of fresh air, sunlight, scrupulous standards of hygiene, and reusable face masks appears to have substantially reduced deaths among some patients and infections among medical staff. We argue that temporary hospitals should be a priority in emergency planning. Equally, other measures adopted during the 1918 pandemic merit more attention than they currently receive.
     https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/
      April 24, 2020 3:41 PM MDT

This is from 4 yrs ago. 
      April 25, 2020 9:27 PM MDT

Here's a similar question:  Married women sometimes have affairs, is it possible your wife is one of them?"
      April 24, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

m2c is a woman.
      April 24, 2020 4:11 PM MDT

I'm well aware of that---my phraseology was based on not wanting here to accuse me of some personal slight against her.
      April 25, 2020 12:07 PM MDT

Nope not possible. I do not have one. This post was edited by my2cents at April 25, 2020 9:51 PM MDT
      April 24, 2020 4:16 PM MDT

Another example of "outside the box" thinking:

Hey, we have anecdotal reports of good results obtained in various situations when we perform experiments with "pyramid power." Maybe everybody should sleep under a pyramid configured at home for the next 3 months---After all, what have you got to lose?
      April 24, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

Not a sane question if posing it results in a need for product manufacturers to issue warnings not to pursue it to prevent accidental death.

April 24, 2020 2:10 PM MDT

Manufactures issued the statment as a response to reporters calling them and asking if it was safe....
    Again he did not suggest injecting disinfectant.   It was a question....do we have SOMETHING that could be be injected that could cleanse the body. 
      April 24, 2020 3:29 PM MDT

Again. He did inquire about injecting disinfectant. People are stupid, Trump and his followers included.

You can’t even hint at such nonsense, particularly in desperate times. Someone in his position needs to be above such ridiculously capricious comments.

The fact that a public statement had to be made to contradict what you claim didn’t happen, proves all the points I just made.

Now Trump says he said it “sarcastically“to test the fake media. (Preposterous) You all need to get on the same page. 

April 24, 2020 5:54 PM MDT

I do not believe he was being sarcastic. But I heard and can read exactly what was said. And he did not say to inject disinfectants. 
      April 24, 2020 5:57 PM MDT

He said he was bring sarcastic. In those words. Said it today. I personally don’t think Trump is even capable of sarcasm. 

Does it seem you are mighty inconsistent about which Trump comments you want to believe? 

Given the stunning amount of bullsh** every time he speaks, you are fighting a losing battle.

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 25, 2020 9:51 PM MDT
      April 24, 2020 6:13 PM MDT

As I said I heard and read the question.   And I disagree anout the sarcasm. 
    The media took the quote and twisted it.  
      April 24, 2020 6:47 PM MDT

And again, we see the President go up to the podium, completely unprepared, he has no idea what he’s talking about, says things that shock
    the conscience and make no sense; and here you are inventing excuses for it. 

Maybe we just write this one off as “locker room talk”, as well. Pathetic. 

April 25, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

To be able to hear and/or to read is indeed thought to be good, but supposedly comprehension is even better---at least according to some experts.
      April 25, 2020 12:14 PM MDT

I agree and it is amazing that some can neither hear nor read and a statement without twisting it.   I want "Something like that"  is not saying I want that. 
      April 25, 2020 2:54 PM MDT

Even more people shall die from his BULLS**T!!!
      April 24, 2020 7:42 AM MDT