Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Should personal messages via chat be integrated with your on-site inbox?

Should personal messages via chat be integrated with your on-site inbox?

I just realized that all PMs sent via chat are being saved in the inboxes on the new answerMug. Personally, it freaked me the heck out when I saw it. I wouldn't want mine saved. This is something that was integrated by a developer, not something I asked for, and it seems really strange to me.

I was about to ask them to remove it, but I figured I'd check with you all first. Would you like your chat PMs to be saved to your on-site inbox or is that weird? Whatever you guys decide will be implemented across the board. To be clear, the chats are stored in your personal and private inbox until you choose to delete them.You can also communicate one-on-one though the chat portion of your inbox and have it appear in the PM, just as if you typed in the chat box. O_o That's weird, right?

Posted - June 30, 2016

Responses

• yes, i would. i would like notifications and to receive notifications of messages in my inbox, as well.

i don't think 'chat' is needed.

June 30, 2016 11:49 PM MDT

I don' use chat and I havent PM's anyone on here, but if I were to use PM, I would want it to be private. Unless I'm mistaken, you're saying once the message is stord in your Inbox, anyone can view it. You could do that and give us the option in settings to keep those messages private.
      July 1, 2016 7:45 AM MDT

No, the messages are always private regardless. The thing that messed with me is that it stores your one-on-one messages from chat inside your onsite email inbox. Kind of like Yahoo does. 

July 1, 2016 3:26 PM MDT

Ok. Thanks. 

July 1, 2016 3:27 PM MDT

July 1, 2016 3:27 PM MDT

I don't even know what that means.   How do you send a PM via chat? 

July 1, 2016 3:33 PM MDT

I don't use private messages on a chat box. I don't even know how to use it.
      July 1, 2016 3:51 PM MDT

• No. They aren't meant to be saved. Make the developer do more work.

July 1, 2016 3:54 PM MDT

The one-on-on chats. Instant messaging.

July 1, 2016 3:57 PM MDT

July 1, 2016 3:57 PM MDT

lol I'm not sure if you just want to know you had a hand in a developer losing his mind or if you're serious. That old gag about what it's like to move furniture for a woman (Over there... no, try it on the other wall... no... let's put it back where it was, but at an angle... I take that back. The first way was best.) Yeah, that's what the poor developer is going through right now with me. lol 

July 1, 2016 4:01 PM MDT

• Both. But I really do think private messages shouldn't be saved.

July 1, 2016 4:05 PM MDT

Ok. :) Thank you for clarifying. 

July 1, 2016 4:10 PM MDT

im not much of a chatter unless someone sends me a message

July 1, 2016 9:42 PM MDT

Now I understand.  I don't chat on Yahoo, so I had no way of knowing how they store PMs.  Thank you.

July 1, 2016 10:04 PM MDT