Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Can a frog be racist?

Can a frog be racist?

#pepe?

Posted - September 29, 2016

Responses

Mmhmmm...
      September 29, 2016 5:53 PM MDT

• I've heard some say some terrible things about toads.
      September 29, 2016 5:55 PM MDT

Most Francophiles are not black/white racist.   They have their own demons and pretty much hate all non-French. 
    (my humblest of opinions and NOTHING personal)   I like them as a rule, as a one-on-one.
      September 29, 2016 5:55 PM MDT

• It's come to my attention that the answer is yes.  This little a$$hole is:
      September 29, 2016 6:27 PM MDT

• TOADALY!!!!
      September 29, 2016 6:29 PM MDT

No it is a cartoon. But Hillary claims it is racist.
    Pepe was the no. 1 used meme on Tumblr last year and the no. 6 used total on the web in general.....so I guess all of those people are racist now. This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2016 4:40 PM MDT
      September 29, 2016 7:06 PM MDT

Of course it can be racist. It's all about how it's used and for which purposes but I guess you're aware about that. The only question is if the 'decent' right wingers ever will admit it. But that's another story.

This article might be an interesting read, if prepared to do it with an open mind; independent.co.uk: pepe the frog hate symbol anti defamation league alt right meme
      September 30, 2016 1:27 AM MDT

But they are not saying it can be racist. They are saying the use o f Pepe is racist.  Anything can be used by a racist.  But that doesn't make the object itself racist. 
    If they chose to use Elmo and put a Nazi uniform on him.... would Elmo be considered racist? No. The few idiots who have used it that way are racist. 
    I have only seen one picture with Pepe in the Nazi uniform. You would think if there is such a amount out there to deem Pepe as racist, the people making the allegation would've more evidence. 
    But when looking it up usually they show the Pepe Trump meme. This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2016 4:21 AM MDT
      September 30, 2016 4:17 AM MDT

It won't be Pepe, but he will by now be associated by all those (more than a "few idiots") who have made use of him in a racist purpose. It's how media works. It's as simple as that. 
      September 30, 2016 4:22 AM MDT

September 30, 2016 4:49 AM MDT

Nice try but that platform is already taken by your Trump and the Alt-right. Deny it all you want, it won't change a dime. These are my 2 cents. Enjoy your Friday.
      September 30, 2016 4:53 AM MDT

You sure about that? I guess these are racist too?: This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2016 9:28 AM MDT
      September 30, 2016 9:25 AM MDT

You seem to miss out on a huge difference 2cents, these aren't made by any Hillary supporters but by you guys. You are familiar with the concept of bad faith, Alt-right?! Keep making yourself looking extremely childish. I don't mind. Again, I wish you a lovely Friday. ;-)
      September 30, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

They are not made my me or my guys. I have never made a meme of anything.   I just showed you Pepe memes that are in support of Dems and I look childish? I am looking at facts.  The Bernie's are in suport of Bernie.  The top Obama one is bragging about Obama bombing ISIS.

Just because there are some idiots (yes there are some) does not meant the whole thing is racist.  People should stand up to the idiots and not let them take over the Pepe...(I had never even heard of it before all this but it has been around for 10 yrs) In fact I only seen less than 10 that were racial, about the same as what supported Dems.  Lots of Trump, and some other celeberties (Katty Perry, Nikki Minaj, Cher, even a Jesus) some pervert stuff.... Most were just stupid.  There are idiots who is everything for racist and other stupid stuff.....Disney, Sesame Street, but these are not deemed racist?  Why? This post was edited by my2cents at September 30, 2016 10:52 AM MDT
      September 30, 2016 10:50 AM MDT

Just a few corrections:

I'm not saying you made them, I told you your behavior is childish as you seem to be an intelligent person normally. As such you'll know the conceptualization of bad faith in context as these. You will be familiar with the differences if memes are made from your own side or against the opposite side. You cannot make anyone racist, but you sure can be one.

There have been dozens of articles about the subject of Pepe and the Alt-right movement. Links have been provided here. I am familiar with you visiting the political stuff around this place and find it more than hard believing you aren't familiar with it. If so, you've been more than ignorant around this one topic.

These are may last words. For the last time inside our thread here, I wish you a lovely Friday. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 30, 2016 11:01 AM MDT
      September 30, 2016 11:00 AM MDT

I am not saying there are not stupid idiots out there.  I am saying everyone who has used Pepe is not a racist.  Trump using a Pepe because it looks like him is not racist.   
    I don't get the alt-right thing.... It comes off to me as just another way to call a conservative a racist etc.  Or at least I don't know anyone who would fall into the categories that they are saying apply to the alt-right. I don't believe it is a big a movement as they are trying to let on.
    Even when I have tried to look into the articles calling Pepe racist they don't show me where it is racist.  They don't even show examples....(I did see examples in my image search) In the articles they show Trump Pepe---that is not racist. Even Hillary website which did condemn (I cannot find it on there now) Pepe as racist does not show an example again it shows Trump Pepe.
      September 30, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

Let's do a little word substitution here....

"I am not saying there are not stupid idiots. I am saying everyone who has used a swastika is not a Nazi. Hitler using a swastika because
    he likes the historical significance of it is not racist. I don't get the Brown Shirt thing. It comes off to me as just another way
    to call a Hitler supporter a racist, etc. Or, at least, I don't personally know anyone who would fall into those categories...."

Get the point yet, Mr. Motivated Cognition?
      September 30, 2016 12:44 PM MDT

*like*
      September 30, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

I get what you are saying....the swastika is definately associated with Hitler/racism/Nazism/etc but the Pepe is not there. At least not yet in my opinion.  Everyone knows what the swastika is and how it was used.  Not everyone knows who Pepe is.  (I had not even heard of it until sometime last month from a question on here)   There is a Donald Duck meme in a Nazi uniform, is Donald Duck racist? No.  I also don't believe Pepe is lost to the racists yet unless people simply give him up.  
    Maybe the people who post the memes should start a take Pepe back movement. 
      September 30, 2016 4:04 PM MDT

@m2c -- Why do you care? No, seriously. Why do you care?

You've accepted the swastika has been permanently tarnished by its association with the Nazi movement.

You've accepted the tea bag as a political symbol will, for the foreseeable future, be associated with a certain
    flavor of American conservative ideology.

But, by jimmy, you're drawing the line at Pepe The Frog. Pepe must be preserved as a cultural symbol
    for....what exactly?

If Pepe is lost as a symbolic expression because Tea Partiers...er, I mean Alt-Righters have sullied him with
    their bigotry...

(I'm sorry, I know you think the two are not the same, but I get them confused....;-D...)

...how does that affect you? Why do you want to take back Pepe? Seriously...

September 30, 2016 4:25 PM MDT

Truly I don't know why it annoys me so much. 
    Perhaps I get tired of people always pulling the race card. Anything someone says or does is construded as racist. 
    Now there is this new alt right term and it is used to call people racist and as you just did above you called the Tea Party racist.  (I don't associate the Tea party with tea bags) 
    I get tired of everything being racist. My first encounter with the Pepe was someone using it to call another racist. But over all I don't care about Pepe it is just tired of everyone being called racist. 
      September 30, 2016 5:11 PM MDT

M2C
    Pretty Good One
      September 30, 2016 5:49 PM MDT

• M2C...It isn't just Hillary. 
    Yes, Yes, Yes...we know about it's past, what it originally meant, where it got it's start... But as SH pointed out, It was adopted by the alt-right, Trump campaign (unofficially) and the worst of the worst on 4Chan and Reddit as their mascot. We know what it now means.

Just like the swastika which is as old as dirt and originally meant good fortune, well being, or something along those lines in other cultures, the swastika was hijacked by the Nazis....Pepe has suffered the same fate
      September 30, 2016 7:07 AM MDT

• Well the guy who created the comic shouldn't be punished.

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Club-1-Matt-Furie/dp/B001MJXDF2

There are PLENTY of offensive Mickey Mouse images, yet Disney doesn't suffer.
      September 30, 2016 7:17 AM MDT