Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Would it be better if the trending 10 lists ran down the side of the site on the home page, rather than having tabs you have to click on?

Would it be better if the trending 10 lists ran down the side of the site on the home page, rather than having tabs you have to click on?

The blogs aren't getting a whole lot of lovin' just yet and I wonder if that's because we don't have a blog ticker staring you in the face. O_o

Posted - September 30, 2016

Responses

It might not be a lot we have to do, but scrolling down the page would have me look more regularly on the top ten than by the drop down menu. But that will be me. Gah.
      September 30, 2016 12:37 AM MDT

Hmm... That's the other thing. Our mobile users would have to scroll wayyyyyy more. That would be a pain in the butt. :/ Maybe people are still getting their Mug legs and they'll resume blogging in a couple of days.
      September 30, 2016 12:43 AM MDT

I believe you're right. We all have to get used and settled in with the changed format. I suspect it will come. The Q&A seems being running nice now. We still need the groups to get started. At least the ones I was most active in. It's been a while since I made my latest blog. Hmm.
      September 30, 2016 12:50 AM MDT

Agreed
      September 30, 2016 9:11 AM MDT

:-)
      September 30, 2016 10:08 AM MDT

JA, It's kind of like moving to a new place, like I did a few months ago. LOL
    I think many of us are finding our way around our new 'neighborhood' and there are things we are still taking in.
    I'm sure once we have settled in, there WILL be more people bloggng. 
      September 30, 2016 9:24 AM MDT

I doubt easier access is the answer here.

The problem here is that most of the blogs suck. Somehow blog space have become a soapbox where people propagandize for their political views and prozelytize for their religious views. They usually disable comments, probably to avoid making it too glaringly obvious that they know how unpopular their extreeme views are.
      September 30, 2016 1:00 AM MDT

Mkay, but regardless of your opinion on the blogs, people have still been writing them, so that doesn't explain why they haven't been writing them since the move. And, for what it's worth, we removed the ability for people to moderate comments in blogs here. Either they accept dissenting opinions, show their blogs to just their friends, or they don't post. Limiting responses is not an option anymore.
      September 30, 2016 1:09 AM MDT

People are having to relearn the UI.  While it offers many more features, it's harder to navigate than the previous rev.  I'd give it a week or two and then worry about the fringes. :-)
      September 30, 2016 1:34 AM MDT

• I agree,  this site is a little harder to navigate.  It's a bit confusing in the layout.  
      September 30, 2016 5:47 AM MDT

I'm finding it easier to navigate and I am far from being 'computer literate'....LOL
    I can actually figure things out without having to ask my friends. I think we just need to have time to settle in and enoy this site.  This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at September 30, 2016 3:38 PM MDT
      September 30, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

It's relatively easy for me having been on two other similarly formatted Q&A sites, but for newbies...oh yeah!
      October 1, 2016 1:49 AM MDT

• I'm far from a newbie, I joined the Mug in 2012. It's just different from how the old Mug was and takes a little getting used to. 
      October 1, 2016 5:42 AM MDT

I hold some of those 'extremist' views, but I agree with you.  If one is not willing to discuss his/her blog posts, then s/he shouldn't put it up.
      September 30, 2016 1:32 AM MDT

On my PC the TT IS on the right-hand side of the page, but it hasn't refreshed since the grand re-opening.
      September 30, 2016 1:29 AM MDT

It is, but it's in a tabbed container. You have to click "more" to see other types of content. Previously, I had all leaderboards out in the open.

I just learned after the launch that it's doing "all time" leaderboards. There's no way for me to configure it to show things that are currently trending, like for the week. It's on the dev list.
      September 30, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

• Would a 'scroll to bottom' button help?
      September 30, 2016 7:49 AM MDT

Perhaps. That's essentially what we have here in the main Q&A.  I spent about 20 minutes pressing the "quick reply" button and flying to the bottom and then pressing the up arrow and zipping back up. It's the little things in life. lol
      September 30, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

The site is still brand new to most users and everyone is still learning their way around, I'd give people time to settle in.  

The new format is much cleaner, in large part, due to the drop down menus, imo.  I did not feel it took me that long to acclimate to the new format and now find it easier to navigate than the old one.   

(Edit:  Spelling)

This post was edited by Bozette at October 1, 2016 1:51 AM MDT
      September 30, 2016 10:16 AM MDT

Agreed.  I have an easier time on Muggers NOW than I have on my cell phone. lol
      September 30, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

whichever way you want to put them, they dont bother me any
      October 2, 2016 6:50 PM MDT