Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do the quarantine/ shelter in place rules violate any constitutional rights?

Do the quarantine/ shelter in place rules violate any constitutional rights?

Posted - May 10, 2020

Responses

Some have made a case that our right to free assembly has been violated, and a number of churches have made a stink about being prevented from exercising their faith. 

I don’t see that either group have a compelling argument against them. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 10, 2020 7:29 PM MDT
      May 10, 2020 5:51 PM MDT

The 1st amendment has been trambled. 

People fined etc for drive-thru in car church services. Pastor arrested for service with 20+ people in a church that seats over 200. But Walmart can have hundreds of people in their stores. 

Not allowed to peacefully assemble.  No weddings, funerals, birthdays, or just get togethers, etc. 

Businesses forced to close but big business allowed to be open and sell the same products that were deemed non-essential. 

Right  to peacefully protest and regress the government. Protesters have been arrested.  Permits refused to be issued. 
      May 10, 2020 6:55 PM MDT

Does the fact that people can and are assembling online and holding church services online not signify that those rights are still intact? 

What non-essential big businesses got to stay open?
      May 10, 2020 7:32 PM MDT

I sell concrete yard ornaments. I am not considered essential. I was forced to close. But big stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards etc are "essential" and are allowed to open and sell their concrete yard ornaments while having hundreds of people in the store. This is a form of government enforced monopoly. 

Online is not freedom of assembly or protest.  If drive movies are allowed...and they are. Then you cannot single out drive in church. 
      May 10, 2020 7:49 PM MDT

Yes.  https://www.subscriptlaw.com/blog/levels-of-scrutiny
      May 11, 2020 11:41 AM MDT