Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "A thousand pastors plan to hold in-person services for Pentecost". Will you be among the in-persons?

"A thousand pastors plan to hold in-person services for Pentecost". Will you be among the in-persons?

Pentecost. The 7th Sunday after Easter

Are Pentecostals evangelicals?

Posted - May 21, 2020

Responses

I'm Jewish, so - no. :)
      May 21, 2020 8:49 AM MDT

((hugs)) See why I love you? D'ya think a rabbi would do the same thing? I can't imagine 1000 of them gathering together because the Jewish people I know are VERY INDEPENDENT so I expect Rabbis are as well.
    Of course you know our history that bonds me to Jewish people. You had a holocaust (6 million exterminated) we had a genocide..1.5 million died on death marches. For you it was the NAZIS. For us it was the Turks. It will forever connect me to Jewish people. Plus I LOVE the food! Which reminds me L. There is or was a great deli in L.A. called CANTER'S. I don't know if it still exists. But the food was TO DIE FOR1 Matzo ball soup...half sour pickles...the corned beef sandwiches were unbelievably delish. That was the place we'd go AFTER the movie or whatever we did. Also the knish's and chicken liver. Uh oh. Now I'm in trouble. Moving on I expect New York has the best Delis in the world! Ever go to one? :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 22, 2020 9:48 AM MDT
      May 21, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but a couple of days ago, hundreds of Orthodox (Hassidim) Jews gathered in Brooklyn for the funeral of a beloved rabbi.  The police tried to break it up because no one was wearing a mask and, naturally, they weren't 6' apart.  They are akin to the Amish in that they believe in the old ways and they dress and behave that way.  They are sending their kids to Yeshiva (school) in violation of school closing rules, they don't believe in vaccinating their kids.  I have to admit, I don't understand that sect of my religion.  

There's a great Jewish deli in Manhattan called Katz'.  You get the same foods you mentioned plus more.  One pastrami or corned beef sandwich is enough for two meals.  It is very well-known and anyone visiting Manhattan usually stops in although now, I'm pretty sure it's closed unless they are doing take-out.
      May 21, 2020 2:23 PM MDT

I AM SHOCKED L. SIGH. I wonder if any of them will have to "pay" for it? I expect there are wackadoodle sects in any kind of religion. We KNOW there is in politics. I pity the children who are going to grow up believing that is the best way because if it weren't they wouldn't be doing it.

I never heard of Katz but that's not surprising. If I were ever to visit I'd DEFINITELY want to eat there if it were open of course. I never had any kind of meat sandwich at Canter's that was fatty. Never had to cut off anything. I know what you mean about the SIZE of the sandwich though when I was younger I did have a bigger appetite than I do now. Well in my fantasy you and I are meeting for lunch at Katz Deli. Do they have good Jewish Delis in Pennsylvania? Years ago a then-fiancee and I visited Philadelphia, his home town. Ever eat at Bookbinder's? Ever go to the Italian Market section in Philadelphia? Ever visit Rocky's steps or any of the many famous places in our history? The City of Brotherly Love. Don't know why it was named that or how different a place it is today than it was in the long ago yesterday? Of course that's just one city. We did go to Amish Country and visited a little theater that was allegedly run by the actress who played Archie Bunker's Wife and her husband. I forget the name of it but it is a well-known theater. My first husband was born in the Shanango Valley I think it is. We visited there and it was just like any other town. His godmother lived on a street called LONG Street. It was a very long street. Simplicity was key. Oh someone in the family worked at the Shenango Valley Pottery facility. Funny how bits and pieces of that time are coming through! I digress.Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 22, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

I don't think we'll ever know if any of them paid for it because they are so insular that little comes out of that enclave.

The meats at Katz' Deli are always lean and the sandwiches are so think you can't open wide enough, but they are delicious.  I haven't been to any delis in PA.  Philadelphia is well-known for a couple of places that specialize in Philly Cheese Steak.  We went to one - Gino's - once.  It was an experience, but not one I care to do again.  Other than cheeseburgers, I'm not too fond of cheese and meat together.  I have been very remiss in visiting any of the usual sights in Philly - the Liberty Bell, Rocky's steps, etc.  Philly has a very high crime rate.  My youngest niece went to Temple University and while the campus is beautiful and safe, the minute you walk off the campus, you're surrounded by rundown homes and dirty streets.  I was very happy when she graduated and came back home to live.  She then went on to a year at the University of Arizona, then got a job in Colorado, where she still lives.  
      May 22, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

Gee L I am so very sorry to hear that. When I visited it was in the 1980's and safer. Wow. That really makes me sad. We walked everywhere in Philadelphia. But of course only during the day. I don't walk anywhere at night. I don't care where the where is I like to be inside at night! Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Maybe that pendulum will swing again toe really being a place of brotherly love in our lifetimes...or at least yours. What a nice thing to happen on our watch or yours! :)
      May 22, 2020 9:43 AM MDT

The downtown Philly area is still OK during the day, but, like you, I don't go out much at night.  My neighborhood is pretty safe, but you never know who's coming into the neighborhood from somewhere else!
      May 22, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

Exactamundo! You told me that your home is in a nice neighborhood L. "Nice" means safe to me or fairly so. I know no place on earth is 100% safe all the time. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      May 23, 2020 6:55 AM MDT

No, we have some crime in the area, but mostly home burglaries - not many assault-type crimes.  We've had some car thefts, but that was a much bigger problem when I first moved here.  You just have to be careful when you're out and about and have situational awareness.  It's raining here, but mild.  Supposed to be nicer the rest of the weekend.  Happy Saturday. :)  
      May 23, 2020 9:17 AM MDT

Thank you for your informative reply L! :) ((hugs))
      May 23, 2020 9:28 AM MDT

The synagogues in which I am involved are holding only virtual services via Zoom.

https://www.knessetisrael.org/

https://www.virtualpsjc.org/
      May 22, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

Good. Excellent in fact. The only downside would be for those who are without internet connections. I wonder how folks like that who are without manage? Thank you for your reply SSB and Happy Saturday to thee. Oh and the links as well! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 24, 2020 4:22 AM MDT
      May 23, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

• Pentecostals are Evangelicals and Christian. All Christians are supposed to be Evangelical in nature. We're all supposed to be spreading the gospel. The confirmation of this responsibility is known as the "Great Commission" which Christ gave before His ascension into Heaven. Also, the scriptures teach that we are not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together. This was even accomplished during the height of persecution in the First Century AD when the church was forced to go underground to gather.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 23, 2020 9:29 AM MDT
      May 23, 2020 9:22 AM MDT