Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What created the thing that created the thing that created the thing that created the Atom?

What created the thing that created the thing that created the thing that created the Atom?

At some point, there is NOTHING.  If something comes from nothing?   Think on it.

"Scientists Greater than Einstein"" tells the stories of ten scientists whose discoveries have had an amazing impact on humanity. Combined, these ten scientists have saved more than 1.6 billion lives--and yet, most remain unknown and unheralded. For instance: Do you know about the eye doctor who in the 1970s figured out how to save millions of children with a nickel's worth of medicine? How about the man from the dusty fields of Mexico who has saved hundreds of millions of people from dying of starvation and malnutrition? Everyone knows about Jonas Salk and his polio vaccine. Do you know whose discovery made Salk's vaccine possible and who created the measles vaccine that has saved many more lives than the polio vaccine? Much of the world's population is alive today due to these ten scientists and no one knows their names. Scientists Greater than Einstein will correct this oversight.

Posted - October 2, 2016

Responses

• No mention of Edward Jenner?
      October 2, 2016 9:12 PM MDT

I hear you, Glis.  

I read that thing after I spat it out on here.  Meaning I was intrigued by the title, copied it and spat it out and read it the lazy way.  But I was disappointed when I saw what the point was.  It had little to do with actual great minds equivalent to Albert E., it was only to do with accidental geniuses who happened to change history because their mind was the vehicle for a change of events that perhaps they need to take less credit for. 

They were at the right place at the right time versus the man you speak of and the man I am looking for that I did not see on that list either.  Oh well.... I'll keep digging.  Thank you for this interesting comment.
      October 2, 2016 9:24 PM MDT

• Enders
      October 2, 2016 9:27 PM MDT

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay  whaaaa?
      October 2, 2016 9:29 PM MDT

• The man's name was Enders.  John Enders
      October 2, 2016 9:31 PM MDT

• @ Sharonna - I think Glis is referring to Orson Scott Card's science fiction novel, "Ender's Game," in which children are trained to play a war game. In the process, they discover a solution (how to defeat an alien enemy) through play and accident. The kids with fresh, naive minds discover what a planet load of adult scientists could not. If my guess is right, Glis is agreeing with you that many discoveries are an accident of time and place rather than the result of genius. If I'm wrong, I welcome him to correct me by explaining his comment. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 2, 2016 11:39 PM MDT
      October 2, 2016 11:37 PM MDT

• We don't yet know the answer to your headline question. I have the impression the quantum physicists are getting close. The answer may lie in the idea of "dark-matter."
    Theoretically, when the world finishes expanding as far as gravity and the energy of the Big Bang allow, it will begin to contract, and will continue to do so until it reaches a reverse Big Bang, in which all matter, time and space will collapse into dark matter. Theoretically, a mirroring process then begins on the other side of the giant black hole created by that event. Theoretically, these reversals  might have been going on infinitely, with no beginning, and they might continue infinitely with no end.

But there are many other theories too - such as the existence of parallel universes in which ours is only one of an infinite number. Lay people like us cannot understand the deepest aspects of quantum physics because it takes too many years of study to understand even just the names for the terms.

My simplest answer is that logically, there is no need for a creator or creation if the universe always existed in a permanent state of change.
      October 2, 2016 11:49 PM MDT