Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is there any advantage to a male prez candidate being gentlemanly and a female prez candidate being ladylike? Do good manners matter? Why?

Is there any advantage to a male prez candidate being gentlemanly and a female prez candidate being ladylike? Do good manners matter? Why?

Posted - October 3, 2016

Responses

Hello Rosie:

Manners matter.  Specially when you have NUKES at your disposal.

excon
      October 3, 2016 6:42 AM MDT

If manners matter and the GOP prez wannabe becomes prez in reality then we have a real dilemma not to mention a tragedy on deck waiting  for its turn at bat. Woe is us.  What chance is there of teaching good manners to a 70-year-old billionaire? Thank you for your reply excon and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 4, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

• I'm with William Horman on this one Rosie.  

"Manners maketh man."
      October 3, 2016 6:55 AM MDT

What do you make of those who support/defend a boor and use him as a role model for what is "genius", "brilliant", desirable?  Admiring a boor enough to want him as your prez? Never thought I 'd live to see THAT day! It is upon us. Like the plague. Out there, hovering, waiting , watching. A Sword of Damocles. :(  Thank you for your reply MrWitch! :)
      October 4, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

• People will support the man for a variety of reasons Rosie.  Idiocy, stupidity and the IQ of a goldfish may well be some of them, but disappointment and disillusionment will also figure prominently.  

People will vote against their own perceived best interests if they feel they're being forced to.  The great irony is that the thing they're most 'against' (as far as I can see) is in-work wage and benefit reductions and job losses overseas.  Yet these are things straight from the modern capitalism rule book - the same rule book that the US citizenry has repeatedly told itself it follows, to the supposed benefit of the nation and it's people.

Suddenly (even though it's not 'sudden' at all) the perceived flow of the 'game' has changed and many US citizens seem to be feeling the pinch.  Yet mention a solution that involves government intervention (as occurred during the mid part of the 20th century) and many of these same people will loudly protest at their hatred for 'communism'.  I'm afraid that there may be no real cure for such blind stupidity other than to truly experience the joys that a future of business controlled capitalism has to offer.

It doesn't matter whether one votes for Clinton or Trump.  What is on offer is much the same.  Trump has more lunacy and less stability.  So far as I can see, that's it.  The underlying system and it's use will change very little.

This election, I think the US really needed Sanders.  But vested interests and the status quo ensured he was never in the running.  I ask the same question I always ask.  'Who benefits?'  The answer is those who do not wish to see change because they're sitting pretty on top of the dung hill, and life doesn't smell as bad up there.  Those are the people who need removing Rosie, along with the systems that support them.  Presidents, I think, are circumstantial at most.
      October 4, 2016 4:33 AM MDT

Yes, good manners do matter. Presidents are especially expected to conduct themselves in a civilised manner.
      October 3, 2016 12:32 PM MDT

I wonder why so many people in America support a boorish oaf and want him to be their prez? Thank you for your reply MC and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      October 4, 2016 2:37 AM MDT

Manners always matter.  One must know what is considered good manners in his or her present circumstances. 
      October 3, 2016 3:03 PM MDT