Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » So glad summer has ended. What is not to like about fall?

So glad summer has ended. What is not to like about fall?

The beginning of hunting seasons, the garden ready to harvest, apple cider,  fish beginning  to school again, bonfires, foliage hikes, the early coming of nights darkness the occasional smell of maturing cannabis flowers wafting in the breeze from some of the locals homegrown patch.

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year to be outside. 

Posted - October 3, 2016

Responses

• Opps.  seems I can't edit typos in the question
      October 3, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

• Nevermind.
      October 3, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

• What are you doing to my compost pile?  Damn it,  you're worse than the damn possums looking for scrapes.  ;o
      October 3, 2016 9:54 AM MDT

•   October 3, 2016 10:07 AM MDT

I get itchy looking at that pic!
      October 4, 2016 7:26 AM MDT

• Fall is a good time of year, though here in California we don't get much in the way of color changing trees, and as a kid I often remember warm temperatures in October. We always had Halloween costume parades and there were many years when it was in the 80s and we were all sweating inside our costumes lol. Overall I do like it, especially with the holidays, but it's also the beginning of cold/flu season, so not looking forward to that...
      October 3, 2016 9:58 AM MDT

Spring is the time I adore most when everything comes to life.

Warm, long Summer days I love and of course those beautiful evening sunsets, lounging around with a kong drink.

All that is finished when Autumn comes, at least it does for a few months.

Even plants and many animals don’t seem too enthusiastic either; they go away to hibernate for several months until Spring when nature come to life again.

The Autumn season is my least favourite time of the year, closely followed by Winter. I am certainly not looking forward to the days getting shorter, mornings being dark and evenings so long, nightfall seems to come in early afternoon not to mention the cold.

OK, the sight of forests turning on their autumnal coats can be quite a spectacular sight but those are just a few days, a period much too short to compensate for what I enjoy in Spring and Summer.
      October 3, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

• I'm the opposite.  Spring is smelly, wet, muddy and gross and summer is too damn hot and humid and all the jerk-offs are out side.

Fall is when the woods come alive with activity and the animals are at their most active.   I love fall and winter and think spring ansd summer are highly over-rated and gross
      October 3, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

OK, I understand how you feel. However, please forgive me for saying so but if you live in a place where Springs are smelly, wet, muddy and gross ..... and Summers are "too damn hot and humid", it gives me visions of a place close to the gates of hell even without all the jerk-offs.

Close to the sea in a temperate, mainly dry climate is where I live. The sea breeze keeps the air squeaky clean but there are of course many reasons why I adore Spring, the main one being that a new cycle of life is beginning and I absolutely love it when in early Spring, the perfuming scent of snowdrops fills the air and the birds are singing their hearts out all around my house.

As the French say “À chacun son (villain) gout!”, “To each his own”!

All the best.

October 4, 2016 2:21 AM MDT

• Actually spring isn't too bad.  Our summer was exceptionally brutal up here in the Northeast.  At least the boating was good.
      October 4, 2016 7:20 AM MDT

I love fall.  After the hideously hot and humid summer we had, this is wonderful!
      October 3, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

As I said to GLis, I live in a temperate, mainly dry climate, close to the sea so Springs and Summers are very pleasant around here.
      October 4, 2016 2:24 AM MDT

I enjoy having four distinct seasons.  I love them all, but fall and winter are my favorites.  Summer was particularly bad this year, with high heat and humidity, but precious little rain.  
      October 4, 2016 5:21 PM MDT

Agreed, I also like all four seasons but as I explained before, my favourite is Spring when nature comes back to life after the Winter sleep.
    Sounds like you must all be living in the same region (CA ?) where you had a humid, hot summer. It must've been a rather unpleasant time for you.
    I am fortunate that we haven't had the humidity. I live North of Bordeaux in France on the Atlantic coast where it's been dry and warm, with just a few days rising to 35°C (95°F) so I do understand why you would look forward to Autumn and Winter.
      October 5, 2016 3:49 AM MDT

My absolute favorite time of year. This post was edited by Sugar Skull at October 4, 2016 9:34 PM MDT
      October 3, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

I wonder how many times the owner rakes the leaves together so the husky can enjoy himself.
      October 4, 2016 2:29 AM MDT

• Leaves changing yet in your parts?
      October 4, 2016 7:20 AM MDT

After this Summer's drought they're falling faster than they're changing.  They're beginning to color up a bit.  But it's still so darn warm!!!
      October 4, 2016 7:24 AM MDT

• Same here.  Everything is mostly green. Some of the trees dried up and the leaves died and fell back in August.  The rest just haven't been kicked into mode yet.   It's only been about 2 weeks since we dropped from the 80's and 90's here.
      October 4, 2016 7:29 AM MDT

I'm betting the temps will drop here after this hurricane passes by.  Personally I can't wait....

However...my tomatoes have finally begun to ripen.

October 4, 2016 7:51 AM MDT

• I pulled what was left of my garden back in late July.  Running the pump to water it just wasn't worth it this year.  A lot of it got sun scorched anyways.
      October 4, 2016 7:54 AM MDT

I didn't pull mine...I just ignored them.  I have a stream out back I could have watered from, but plants were overheating and drying out whether I did or not.

October 4, 2016 8:00 AM MDT