Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There are known knowns and known unknowns. Any unknown knowns?

There are known knowns and known unknowns. Any unknown knowns?

Posted - June 18, 2020

Responses

The only situation I can think of an "unknown known", would be like Schrodinger's cat.
    IE: An object is has to be in one of various states, but you don't know what state it's in until you examine it.

So it's "unknown" what the current state is ... but it's "known" what the possible states are.

I guess that would qualify?
      June 18, 2020 11:59 AM MDT

I don't know if you that I am a very long-time cat lover Walt and Schrodinger's has always been a particular favorite of mine. Ever since I learned of his/her/its "existence" (alive or dead?) I've had a warm spot in my heart for him/her/it. I wonder why Schrodinger didn't name the cat and give him/her/it at least that much of a specific identity rather than being an extension of Schrodinger. But that's a nitpick. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday m'dear! :)
      June 19, 2020 1:48 AM MDT

I'm sure the cat had a name ... just as I'm sure Pavlov's dog had a name.
    But I doubt even now the animals would get any credit.
    lol
      June 19, 2020 6:48 AM MDT

I'm gonna Google it and see. Unless you did already. Thank you for your reply Walt. In the next 10 days SCOTUS is supposed to decide the release of trump tax returns. If trump loses that one too it will be three in a row AND probably by far the most damaging and dam*ing. :)
      June 19, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

Apparently, Schrodinger didn't personally own a cat ... but he did own a dog.
    Maybe that's why he suggested using a cat in the experiment.  lol
      June 19, 2020 7:53 AM MDT

I asked a question covering all of that completely.

Schrodingers dog's name was Bruschi (laddie)
    The cat was just what he chose randomly for his thought experiment.

Pavlov worked with 40 dogs all of whom had names. See if you can find the question. It starts off asking if you have an ODDBALL mind. Thanks Walt. After I posted my prior reply I immediately GOOGLED all of it. This post was edited by RosieG at June 19, 2020 7:59 AM MDT
      June 19, 2020 7:58 AM MDT