Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Who was the first person to call marijuana POT? Or a person addicted to marijuan a POTHEAD? Anyone know?

Who was the first person to call marijuana POT? Or a person addicted to marijuan a POTHEAD? Anyone know?

Posted - June 19, 2020

Responses

I thought maybe because of growing it in pots ... but nope.  Found this online:

The origin of pot has nothing to do with the culinary tool. The word came into use in America in the late 1930s. It is a shortening of the Spanish potiguaya or potaguaya that came from potación de guaya, a wine or brandy in which marijuana buds have been steeped. It literally means “the drink of grief.”
      June 19, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

Thank you for going to the trouble to researching it Walt! I appreciate that muchly. Is a deadhead a pothead? All these heads are confusing. Toilet is a head. The trump is the head. Too many heads spoil the broth. Thank you for your very helpful and informative reply! GOOD JOB! :)
      June 19, 2020 10:52 AM MDT

I thought when a person was called a "deadhead", they were a follower/fan of The Grateful Dead.

June 19, 2020 10:56 AM MDT