Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Heroes to confederates are traitors to the rest of us. Why would any country that vanquished traitors HONOR them?

Heroes to confederates are traitors to the rest of us. Why would any country that vanquished traitors HONOR them?

I never thought about it before and I should have. My parents and grandparents immigrated to the United States of America...not the united states of the confederacy. That is not a country. That is a black mark in our history of trying to be undone by our own citizens. BLASPHEMY. Well we live among their ancestors' ghosts and their overwhelming prejudices and their heroes and their hates to this day. The Civil war goes on unending. It will never disappear. It is far too dear to so many of them to let it go.

This new day is very strange. Some part of it is very calming clear-eyed determined and some part of it is the exact opposite. Erratic blind and determined. Not good.

Posted - June 19, 2020

Responses

A monuments purpose is to call to remembrance a person or an event.

At the time a monument is erected, someone thought that someone or something noteworthy needed to be remembered by future generations.  The civil war was a bloody war – brother fought against brother.  The South lost.  However, they didn’t want their cause or their people to be forgotten, so over the years they erected monuments to them.  To those of the North many of these people were traitors, but to the South they were heroes, sons, brothers, and fathers.  Since both the winners and the losers of the war were put under the same governing law (the Constitution), the South was allowed to erect their monuments (as per the first amendment).

June 19, 2020 3:21 PM MDT

Yes. I guess. Heroes to the south and traitors to the union. For many decades no one thought anything of it. Apparently. Are there statues/monuments in Germany of Hitler? I think I read that the use of swastika is banned there. Not so here. Some pro trump ads actually incorporated swastikas in Facebook ads. Shockingly and surprisingly FB removed them. But American Nazis support trump so swastika or not they will continue to promulgate hate on behalf of trump.  Anything for the cause. When the Civil War was being fought my people were still in the "Old Country". By the time they came to America it ws to one nation united but only on the surface. Roiling and broiling beneath the surface was the mindset of slave owners. I think that is passed down in the DNA. Succeeding generations of southerners were taught to hate not taught to love. The resentment never diminished or disappeared. It won't. That is the identity of those people. Their heritage. Their history. They can't move on because they don't want to move on. They're stuck in the before and will be forevermore. I suppose. It doesn't seem complicated to me Shuhak but it must be. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :) Hi ho and hidey hi to the Tulsa trump ego hate rallygoers. There are throngs of his fans waiting in Tulsa to see trump in person. What outcome do you see vis a vis COVID 19? :(
      June 20, 2020 3:17 AM MDT