Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you pro con Juneteenth becoming a national federal holiday? Why?

Are you pro con Juneteenth becoming a national federal holiday? Why?

Posted - June 19, 2020

Responses

I am for it but prefer it to be called Freedom Day.  Or Jubilee Day....I like the word Jubilee. 
      June 19, 2020 10:45 AM MDT

June 19, 2020 12:26 PM MDT

It's not up to you what it's called m2c. It's up to those who are impacted by it affected by it don't you think? I like JUNETEENTH personally because encapsulated in that one word is everything African Americans cherish.  FREEDOM. Remembering the day in Texas where the proclamation was read that there were no longer slaves. Slaves were all free men/women. June 19 in Galveston was it? Imagine if you can you having been a slave and then being notified you were now a FREE MAN A FREE WOMAN? Would that not be a monumental change in your life? We have national peanut month or day. We have all kinds of rememberings for all kinds of things some of which are ridiculous. Of course they are not federal holidays but so what? Anyway thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 20, 2020 5:47 AM MDT
      June 20, 2020 5:45 AM MDT

How does Juneteenth...encapsulate the meaning.   Freedom Day...makes sense. Explains what it is about.   

Should Memorial Day just be. Mayday? Or Labor Day be SeptMon?  Just as Independence Day has it official name....even if some say July 4th. 
      June 20, 2020 5:55 AM MDT

• No, there's already enough to keep this country divided for the next 500 years. We've got almost as many holidays and observances as we have days in the year as it is. After this week's DACA decision by the leftist SCOTUS, we'll have to give them a holiday too. The more interesting aspect of this, is the way we don't want any reminders of human slavery or bondage associated with our history, yet we have a need to celebrate emancipation. In a few years, with history thoroughly sanitized, no one will know what the emancipation was about anyway. Without any traces or reminders of chattel slavery, the entire exercise is a moot point. 
      June 19, 2020 11:07 AM MDT

I’m against it 100%.  We have too many federal “holidays” as it is.  The only thing they end up being is a paid day off for federal employees.  Besides, reminding people of anything that has to do with slavery only serves to anger them.  Why do you think people are so outraged by civil war monuments and company mascots?   We don’t certainly don’t need more things that will serve to divide us.

June 19, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I disagree with thee 100%. :)
      June 20, 2020 5:41 AM MDT