Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How long do you hang in watching stupid dumb movies hoping they will get better? Do they?

How long do you hang in watching stupid dumb movies hoping they will get better? Do they?

Are you patient and hopeful or have no time to waste on stupid dumb. If it starts off stupid how often does it end smart intelligent worth it?

Posted - June 20, 2020

Responses

One persons “dumb” movie is another’s classic movie. 

Over the years, I’ve watched countless movies.   From “The Wizard of Oz”, to “Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure”; from “Below” to “Bio-dome”.  Some were great, some were atrocious, and a few were so dumb that I had to turn them off.  Even so, I can almost guarantee that some movies that I think were dumb, others (and possibly you) will think were great.   Likewise, some movies I think were good, others (and possibly you) may consider to be dumb.  In fact, I’m willing to bet that a majority of movies that I enjoy, most people would consider dumb.

For example - I consider “ET: The Extraterrestrial” to be a dumb movie (complete waste of time to even watch).  However, I consider “The Naked Gun” to be a good movie.   I found “Toy Story” to be so dumb I had to turn it off, yet I sat though the entire movie “Zardoz”.   I guess it’s as they always say, “To each his own”.

June 20, 2020 2:35 PM MDT

So you're not really a fan of fantasy then are you? I LOVED et. All he wanted to do was GO HOME. I relate to that. I love being home. Never saw the NAKED GUN. As a rule when "gun" is in the title I am not drawn to it. But Carbine Williams is a true story and Jimmy Stewart played Carbine Williams so I enjoyed that a lot. I liked TOY STORY because I'm a fan of the two actors who voied the two main characters...Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. To infinity and beyond. Is "infinite" a location or a state of mind? I saw" The Bridges of Madison County" and think it is a stupid dumb movie.  I saw "The boy with the green hair" and I loved it I don't know if you have even ever heard of it? Casablanca is a favorite because Humphrey Bogart has been my favorite actor since I was three years old. I loved Star Wars mainly because of Yoda. I love WHAT IF a lot more than most. Different strokes. Different mindsets. Different experiences. Different joys. I've seen "Yankee Doodle Dandy" a bazillion times and I never tire of it. I think the child is me is still there. Where is the child in you m'dear? I like that question so I shall ask it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 21, 2020 2:35 AM MDT

The little child in me is more like a young teenager.  You see, I like parody spoof comedies.  Movies like, “Robin Hood - men in tights”, “Blazing Saddles”, “Airplane!”, “Spy Hard” and “Top Secret”. Heck, even “Spaceballs” was ok. 

While I like some kinds of fantasy, I love science fiction... especially if they’re set in outer space.  Movies like, “Stargate”, “The Martin”, “Gravity”, “Valerian”, and “Avatar”.   

I only liked the first 3 “Star Wars” movies.  They got to dark and gritty after that (much like the later Harry Potter movies).    

The “Naked Gun” was parody spoof comedy, based on the short-lived TV series “Police Squad” (starring Leslie Nielsen).   It’s dumb, but a hilariously funny dumb.

The genres I don’t like are, horror, reality (biographical, historical), rom-com (chick-flick), mystery, sports, gangster, war, and crime.

June 21, 2020 2:40 PM MDT