Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I'm just tossing this out there to see what you think. Vis a vis having the pictures of African Americans on food items. WHAT IF?

I'm just tossing this out there to see what you think. Vis a vis having the pictures of African Americans on food items. WHAT IF?

What If an African American brings to market a product that is packaged in such a way that includes his/her picture on it?

Wasn't there an African American man who created some delicious chocolate chip cookies the packaging of which included a photo of him?

WHAT IF the pancake syrup or pancake mix came from a relative who was named Jemima who was a great cook? I know it's a stretch but WHAT IF?

Uncle Ben's Rice. Maybe someone's Uncle Ben had a killer rice recipe. In homage to Uncle Ben his photo was used. Again a stretch maybe. But WHAT IF?

Years ago there was pie shop in Riverside (not sure if it is still there) that was named "Aunt (somebody)". We stopped by to get a peach pie that was delicious and the owner lady I believe named the store after herself.

I think it could be a sticky wicket. Which is to say I think there are really two sides to this issue...equally valid? I dunno. What do YOU think?

Not quite the same but Oprah Winfrey has her own magazine and on every issue her picture is on the cover. By her own design obviously.

Maybe others involved with other products were equally involved and were happy for the notoriety. Maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe.  SIGH.

Posted - June 21, 2020

Responses

Personally, I say put your pick on it if you want.  If it is a good product people will buy it. 

Uncle Ben..was in fact real. He was a black rice farmer. Who is said to have grown exceptal quality rice. 
      June 21, 2020 7:20 AM MDT

So why would anyone remove his picture? Sometimes I think we go to extremes. Where is that line between ALL or NOTHING? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Saturday to thee. It was FAMOUS AMOS who made the cookies. SIGH.
      June 27, 2020 3:43 AM MDT

Because people look for reasons to be offended. And if does not matter if they are right. 

Just as they tore down a statue of an abolitionist. 

If they took him off, the company was trying to prevent them from being next on the list of attack. Perhaps burning down their factory. 

Just craziness right now. 
      June 27, 2020 4:53 AM MDT

Who’s to say what’s actually offensive and what isn’t?  

A black person worked hard and, despite insurmountable difficulties, he became someone that others   looked up to – a role model.  To commemorate him, a company used his likeliness as their mascot.  The man was proud to lend his likeness to the company.  Not only was it an honor for him, but by that likeness he could show other black people that anything was possible.  Many years later, along come some people who knew nothing of the man or what he had done.   All they saw was a black man’s likeness on a package.  To them it had to be a sign of racism.  So they accused the company of being racist and forced them to remove the likeness.  Yet, in their zeal to “fix the world”, they were actually impeding the very thing they claimed to be doing. 

Never assume.  Gather all the facts, consider all the options - as well as the consequences of those actions - before making any conclusions.   Doing or saying things in the heat of the moment rarely accomplishes what was intended. <#jumping to conclusions ; #going off half-cocked>

June 21, 2020 3:33 PM MDT

Didn't FAMOUS AMOS have his picture on his delicious chocolate chip cookies? We are pendulums..swing from one extreme to the other. ALL or NOTHING. What happened to the in-between? Gone! Not pc. Sheesh! Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      June 27, 2020 3:44 AM MDT