Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » " I CAN'T BREATHE!" Any of you ever experience that? Not being able to catch your breath? If so how terrified were you?

" I CAN'T BREATHE!" Any of you ever experience that? Not being able to catch your breath? If so how terrified were you?

It happened to me once. I slipped as I got into the bathtub (we didn't have showers way back when..just tubs to bathe in) and hit my side on the edge of the tub. I was maybe 10?  It knocked the breath out of me and I still recall the terror of being unable to breathe...I couldn't catch my breath. I thought I was dying. I don't know how long it lasted but I couldn't even call out to my mom.  Many years later I had a slight brush with what I guess was a sort of asthma. It only lasted about 3 months and it was very unpleasant but I got over it. Otherwise I've not had any problem with it. If you ever did experience being unable to breathe what caused it and how long did it last and did it ever recur?

Posted - June 24, 2020

Responses

Twice.  The fist time, I was at the deep end of a pool when my niece wanted to jump off the diving board.  I told her I would catch her and when she jumped, I should have let her bob back up, but I tried to keep her head above water and she started squirming and she almost pulled me under.  The second time was when I got caught in a rip current and not realizing I should have just let it take me where it wanted to, I fought it and nearly drowned.  I was 23 at the time and I haven't been in the ocean since other than up to my knees.
      June 24, 2020 6:57 AM MDT

Wow! Seriously scary L! Thank you for sharing those experiences that are now forever behind you. No do-overs! :)
      June 24, 2020 7:09 AM MDT

They were the two most scary events in my life.  What was even scarier was that I was out with a friend when that rip current hit and when the waves spit me out about half a mile from where I went under, I couldn't find him.  I thought he drowned.  Turned out, he was much stronger swimmer and made it to shore sooner than I did.
      June 24, 2020 7:22 AM MDT

That was a blessing. i went to high school with a boy named LEE...very strong swimmer. His younger sister went to school with my younger sister..same class. One summer after we'd graduated my sister told me that Lee had drowned at Laguna Beach. He had gone out swimming alone and for some reason maybe cramped up or something. It can happen to the best of them. That's why the buddy system is so important. You and your "buddy" were out and things happened and you lost track. It turned out very well but could have been just another tragedy. Boy when we think of close calls it's amazing we're here! Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 24, 2020 8:41 AM MDT
      June 24, 2020 7:29 AM MDT

Yes, we were very fortunate - all of us. :)
      June 24, 2020 8:41 AM MDT

:):):):
      June 24, 2020 10:53 AM MDT

When I was around 35, I accidently punched myself in the throat while taking a shower.  I was washing, my hair, when my hand slipped, bounced off the wall and “bam!” – right in the throat (hard).  I tried desperately to suck in air, but nothing.  Not even a gasp.  Utterly terrified (and in pain), I ran around the house desperate trying to breathe as thousands of things flashed through my mind.   For some strange reason I recalled that the way to stop choking is to sit down and put your head between your legs.  So I did.  Sure enough, my throat began to open.  Let me tell you, air never tasted so good!! 

I know now that stress makes the body tighten up.  My hysteria was making things worse.  Calming myself down like that allowed my throat to relax, thus letting me breathe.

June 24, 2020 12:08 PM MDT

Oh my gosh Shuhak that sounds horrifying! Thank you for the handy hint just in case I am ever in that situation. Sit down and put your head between your legs. Isn't that also what folks do for nausea? I know I've heard it before but I don't remember what it is supposed to help. Well now I know one thing it helps. Thank you for your reply!:)
      June 26, 2020 2:56 AM MDT