Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Hypocrisy? You be the judge: Gov of California threatens to withhold funds from counties where people don’t comply with his Covid orders.

Hypocrisy? You be the judge: Gov of California threatens to withhold funds from counties where people don’t comply with his Covid orders.

Months ago, California Governor Gavin Newsome was one of many who blasted President Trump for threatening to withhold federal funds from state governments that failed to comply with his orders. The outcry by Trump opponents at the time was that people would suffer and be used as pawns in political theatre. This week, Newsome himself is using that same move, yet with the caveat that the specific funds in question are those earmarked for Covid-related purposes.

Posted - June 25, 2020

Responses

Many people in this state are NOT complying with mask orders!!!  Many Businesses are not complying as well (I just watched 3 unmasked people (from 3 separate cars) walk into the small grocery store down the street – and they weren’t distancing either.  Our local community Facebook page is flooded with posts claiming that being told to wear a mask is “tyranny”.  The reported cases in this small community have nearly doubled in just the past week.  Our local hospital is nearly filled to capacity with Covid cases … something that hasn't happened since the outbreak started.

Newsom NEEDS to do something.   The only thing that seems to get anyone’s attention anymore is to hit ‘em in their pocketbook.  Newsom put the burden of mandatory compliance onto the counties – who SHOULD have been enforcing the laws in the first place.  Several counties have downright refused to comply (i.e. Orange County).  So the next thing is to hit ‘em in the pocketbook.   Even Texas is pulling the liquor licenses (for 30 days) of bars that don’t comply.   I hate to see this county lose out on any funding, but I don't want to be dead either.

June 25, 2020 12:18 PM MDT

Thank you for responding. None of what you’ve written is in dispute, I am neither saying you’re correct nor incorrect in your points.  You do realize that the question is specifically about whether or not he’s being hypocritical on the precise portion that I listed out as my premise, correct?

~

June 25, 2020 8:04 PM MDT

That governor...........how in the world did the state elect him?  Sorry if you're a fan.
      June 25, 2020 6:48 PM MDT

California is an extremely liberal state, that’s how he got elected. No, I’ve never been a fan, nor did I vote for him. 

~

June 25, 2020 7:04 PM MDT

Sounds like a psychopath. He also looks like one. 

June 25, 2020 7:39 PM MDT

Thank you for the first part of your answer.  I cannot endorse the last part.  I don’t disparage anyone’s looks, that’s not relevant to character nor competence. I am not saying you are not entitled to your opinion nor entitled to express it, I just want to separate myself from its sentiments. 

~

June 25, 2020 8:01 PM MDT

Of course it's not relevant to character nor competence. It was just a joke...in hindsight, a bad one. 

He looks like Christian Bale (bottom picture of my original answer). He played the main character of "American Psycho". 

I honestly don't judge people by their appearance. 
      June 25, 2020 8:08 PM MDT