Discussion » Questions » Communication » Is Answermug now defunct? I've received no messges/alerts/etc. for several days. If the Mug still exists, where is everygody? Just Asking,?
Huw

Is Answermug now defunct? I've received no messges/alerts/etc. for several days. If the Mug still exists, where is everygody? Just Asking,?

Posted - October 4, 2016

Responses

• I think they are fixing it... I have no idea either.  I can't see my friends, and all my messages have gone.  I hope they will re-appear a while later.
      October 4, 2016 10:08 PM MDT

We all left for another site, but were sworn to secrecy.  No one was to tell you about it...

...OOPS! 

L0L!
      October 4, 2016 10:24 PM MDT

We are still here, the new format still have some bugs to be squashed ;-))
      October 4, 2016 10:31 PM MDT
  • Huw

Well, if I'm not wanted...
      October 5, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

• Format changes are never very smooth and always have a lot of issues to iron out. Sometimes changes are good and sometimes..not so much. 
      October 5, 2016 8:48 AM MDT

It depends on your own activity and settings.  I glanced at your activity feed and it shows that you haven't really been active since we moved, so that would explain it. We're presently busier than we were at the old site, and that's without having a lot of the groups ready and without Google knowing where our pages are.
      October 5, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

I've not been active because until today there have been no notices in my mailbox. Also because I found it rather difficult to find Answermug... some confusing/misleading stuff when I searched for it.
      October 5, 2016 9:47 PM MDT

If you're active again here, you should start getting emails again, but you can also shut them off and use the on-site notifications.

I don't know how tech savvy you are, but a domain name (answerMug.com) can be told to point to any website. I could set it up so that people typed it into their browsers and they landed on Wikipedia or something. In our case, I told it to send people to our new site, but their cache (computer or browser memory) still wanted them to go to the old site. The cache can be cleared, but some people don't have the tech skills to make that happen, so I routed them in through beta.answerMug.com- a name that their computer had never heard of. It's the same site. It's like having a friend named "Bob" who may also be called "Robert" or "Bobbie." He's still Bob, no matter what you call him. In time, the people who couldn't clear their cache will be able to come in through the regular way- answerMug.com. Their browser or computer will forget the other site existed. Until that happens, or they learn how to clear their cache, they can sneak in the back way- through beta.
      October 5, 2016 10:07 PM MDT

I was wondering why no alerts, having previously received umpteen, but "Answermug.com" in the browser bar opens it without fuss. 
      November 22, 2016 4:24 AM MST