Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I would not have done well at all being a shy introvert. Being shipped off to some school to live among strangers. Would you have aced it?

I would not have done well at all being a shy introvert. Being shipped off to some school to live among strangers. Would you have aced it?

Posted - July 9, 2020

Responses

I think I'm somewhere in-between a shy introvert and an outgoing extrovert but I don't think I would've aced it.  That almost happened to me but my dad helped save me from it.  Both my half-brother and my brother went to a boarding school in another state for their high school years.  It was my mom's idea but by the time I was ready for high school my dad put his foot down and refused to send me there.

My half-brother got along great there because he was a school bully so he fit right in.  My brother was on the receiving end of it and boarding schools, at least the one my half-brother and brother attended, take bullying up to a whole new level.  My brother was the least popular kid there.  Umm yeah, they actually wrote out the popularity ranking and posted it on the dorm bulletin board before the dorm monitor took it down.

Anyway, the reason why my half-brother and my brother went there for high school is because it was a college preparatory school to train Christian pastors and parochial school teachers and my mom's dream was to have both her sons grow up to be pastors and she wanted me to grow up to be a parochial school teacher.  My brother and I were huge disappointments to mom because he became a lineman after high school and I became a truck driver until I had kids.  Now I'm a stay-at-home mom.

My half-brother came closest to making my mom happy.  He actually went to seminary but he was asked to leave.  My parents told me he flunked out.  Umm, no.  His grades were just fine.  While he was there he was dating a woman who was studying to be a teacher in a parochial school.  One weekend my half-brother and his girlfriend took a drive on up to Minneapolis to visit the abortion clinic which just isn't a good look on seminary students so when they were found out they were both asked to leave.   That was a conversation between my parents and him that they didn't think I heard but yeah, I was listening in on it instead of being at my friend's house like I told my parents.
      July 9, 2020 7:26 AM MDT

Oh my goodness Liv you just overwhelmed me! In a very great way. You just shared so much of whom you are, what you experienced and how you reacted to all of it...in 3 dimensions not just superficially. I really appreciate that you took the time to give so much of yourself to us. Really. I'm an open book and a very big fan of being your authentic self all the time. Some folks never do let you know whom they really are or what they've done. Trusting no one and being fearful of divulging too much information. Like who is going to show  their door and murder them? I never understood that. Anyway back to the subject. I think we really mostly try to do the right thing as we go through life. The problem is we don't always know what that is so we give it our best shot. Ya win ya lose you draw. Thanks again. Hope you and your family are doing very fine. Happy Thursday and please STAY SAFE! :)
      July 9, 2020 7:47 AM MDT