Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would you trust results of studies done by the producers/manufacturers of a product as much as the results of objective 3rd parties?

Would you trust results of studies done by the producers/manufacturers of a product as much as the results of objective 3rd parties?

Why?

Posted - July 10, 2020

Responses

The vast majority  of studies are done my people/businesses with an interest in the results.  Someone has to pay for them.
      July 10, 2020 10:05 AM MDT

Interestingly ... it seems as if the scientists doing the tests for manufacturers are honest in their results.
    It's when the executives get hold of those results, that becomes the issue with dishonesty.

EG: Studies by fuel companies showed they could be contributing to global climate change in the 1970s.
    But executives for those companies hid those studies from the public, and claimed the opposite.

The same is true of studies done by "big tobacco".

So yes, I would generally trust the studies themselves ... but would not trust what the executives claimed.
      July 10, 2020 10:42 AM MDT

I'm confused Walt. How do we access those pure true results when we have no access to them except via the executives who lie about them? Please explain okey dokey? Thank you for your reply :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 10, 2020 11:34 AM MDT
      July 10, 2020 11:33 AM MDT

"leaks" ... whistleblowers ... lawsuits ... pretty much not going to get them voluntarily, if it goes against the corporate line.

But I'm just pointing out that there is a difference between the studies and what the public is told.
      July 12, 2020 8:18 AM MDT

Oh m'dear I know. Remember the cigarette industry? They KNEW nicotine was addictive and said did nothing. There are sadly many examples of drugs that go to market that have some very bad side effects they never tell you about. I guess they play the odds. They figger they will make more selling it than lawsuits will cost to attack it. Something like doing it and then saying you're sorry rather than asking permission. I wouldn't doubt it happens almost in every case. There was a movie called ALL MY SONS. I vaguely remember the man's company made airplane parts and some defective ones were put in planes that went down killing the pilots. Death is one of the possible side effects of many things. If the percentage/odds are small enough they take a chance. After all they're not in business for their health or to make friends. They're in business to make money. Another question. Can't shut it off today. AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply Walt. :)
      July 12, 2020 8:23 AM MDT