Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This is for the birds. The ANDEAN CONDOR can fly 100 miles without once flapping its wings. HOW?

This is for the birds. The ANDEAN CONDOR can fly 100 miles without once flapping its wings. HOW?

Posted - July 14, 2020

Responses

Gliding on wind currents.

There used to be a private airfield outside Beaverton, OR where you can pay to be taken up in a glider and sail the sky all day if you have the funds and time.  Last I checked, years ago, it was $20/hour.  Though if they didn't have many customers, the owner would let you go as long as you wanted for that price.  He just liked getting people addicted to it.  lol
      July 14, 2020 7:47 AM MDT

Gliding on wind currents Walt? So they are always there never not? I know in a sailboat when the wind dies you become becalmed and just have to wait till the wind comes up again. Are air currents not like that? They are always there to give birds a long ride? Thank you for your reply and the info. Are you a glider fan? Does a glider have a motor you can turn on if you need to or does it just rely on air currents? Sounds kinda sorta scary! :)
      July 14, 2020 8:19 AM MDT

True gliders don't have an engine.

I imagine the condors are like gliders and can use their wingspan to create their own uplift, without wind currents.
      July 14, 2020 8:28 AM MDT