Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are mixed responses due to mixed messaging, mixed degrees of understand, or both?

Are mixed responses due to mixed messaging, mixed degrees of understand, or both?

You ask a lighthearted question and receive a very dour sour serious reply. Oy vey!

You ask a serious question and the reply is more "aren't I clever see how I answer?". Neither is satisfying to the asker but maybe it's inevitable.

Posted - July 18, 2020

Responses

Everyone’s different.  They think differently, they perceive things differently, and they’ve had different life experiences.

Some people have a keen sense of humor, while others are deeply serious.  Some people are introverts, some are extroverts, and others are somewhere in the middle.  Most all people have seen or gone through some kind of trauma in their life (abuse, accident, disease, animal attack, death of a loved one, etc.).  Everyone is at a different moment in their life (have or haven’t experienced “things” in their life), they’re learning.   Each time someone experiences (learns?) something, it “changes” them.  It could be something as simple as a flower or something as dramatic as a murder.   This isn’t even taking into account current frame of mind (depression, optimist/pessimist, sickness/injury, etc.) or aptitude.  In other words, no two people think alike, or see something in the exact same way.  They have a unique thought process.

Because of this unique thought process, some people can take things the wrong way.  What was meant as humorous they see as serious or what was meant as serious they see as lighthearted.   Then again, some people are just jerks.  They purposefully do things simply to evoke a desired response from another; usually the opposite of what would be expected. 

July 18, 2020 1:43 PM MDT

Of course the "problem" is obviated if asker and replier are on the same page. Doesn't happen ALL THE TIME but when it does? Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak. Then there are those who are confirmed smartalecks and only show to put people down. Them I can do without entirely. I've learned to avoid them but everyone in awhile one of them gets through. Then I gag and AARRGGHH and squirm. Have to find a surer way of blocking them out. Some are sneaky. Some even go so far as to change their monikers if you can believe that!
      July 19, 2020 5:55 AM MDT