Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Have any of you had the opportunity or looked to see the NEOWISE comet? If not, try & catch it tonight. It's under the Big Dipper :) :)

Have any of you had the opportunity or looked to see the NEOWISE comet? If not, try & catch it tonight. It's under the Big Dipper :) :)

Posted - July 22, 2020

Responses

We have to go way out of town to get a clear horizon and recently most of our nights have been cloudy.
      July 22, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

I am so sorry to hear that.  If the weather clears, please do try and catch it tonight.  I'm sure You know, it won't be around again for another 6,800 plus years.
    If you can grab some binoculars and look under the second star in the cup of the dipper, you can barely see it with your naked eye.
    Through binoculars, it JUMPS OUT at you!
    I hope you have the opportunity.  It is worth the drive if the weather permits.

Reach for the Stars!  It's amazing what goes on up there!!
    ;) :) !!
    :
      July 22, 2020 1:51 PM MDT

I have seen two comets. Haley's was dim the year we saw it. I had a small telescope and was able to see it quite clearly. I saw another one about 20 years ago that was much higher in the sky so I could see it from my apartment. It was quite bright.
      July 22, 2020 1:57 PM MDT

There is far too much ambient light at night in New York City to be able to see it, I believe.  
      July 22, 2020 4:36 PM MDT

Thanks for the heads up I will probably be able to see it because the sky' is going to be clear tonight. Cheers!
      July 22, 2020 4:54 PM MDT