Active Now

Element 99
Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Randy D
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Environment » "The marijuana Boom is contributing to the climate crisis". See details below.. Isn't 1% a very tiny amount?

"The marijuana Boom is contributing to the climate crisis". See details below.. Isn't 1% a very tiny amount?

Per Kelly Crandell, Analyst for EQ Research.  Growing marijuana accounts for 1% of the energy use in the states of Colorado and Washington. Why is that a big deal?

Posted - October 7, 2016

Responses

• There is a point to it.   I mean lighted indoor and greenhouse growing of any crop uses lots of energy and we know any kind of farm runoff has effects on the environment.   That said this is a fact being blown out of proportion to spread anti-pot propaganda.

It's not as if greenhouse tomatoes and other similarly produced crops are contributing any less.

( Yes 1% is a very tiny amount. Most "shock statistics" used to promote agendas use very small percentages.)
      October 7, 2016 8:43 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Glis . It just seems so inconsequential to me. :)
      October 9, 2016 5:22 AM MDT

Yawn.

And I am unanimous in that.
      October 7, 2016 6:24 PM MDT

• Well, we do use an awful lot of energy, so 1% of an awful lot is...... quite a bit I suppose.

There are many places around the world where weed can be grown without all the hothousing and expense.  Remember, the expense is to get a bigger crop, faster in order to get a quicker turnaround and more profit.  Large parts of the US are among these areas, along with lots of North Africa and quite a few other places.

The issue here isn't the environment, or weed, or anything else.  I think it's our refusal to accept that some things shouldn't be 'improved' because they can be and because it's slightly more profitable.

A pertinent point by Glis raises other products that are 'improved' by use of energy.  It's not an improvement in anything except the profit margin and I have singular difficulties with a world where profit is the single most important thing.  That almost never ends well.
      October 9, 2016 5:43 AM MDT