Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Tropical Storm Hanna hits south Texas. Hurrican Douglas threatens Hawaii coast with heavy rains/strong winds. How's it goin' in YOUR hood?

Tropical Storm Hanna hits south Texas. Hurrican Douglas threatens Hawaii coast with heavy rains/strong winds. How's it goin' in YOUR hood?

Good?

Posted - July 27, 2020

Responses

At least a week or a bit more with nothing but sunshine, heat and humidity.  I can't wait for October!
      July 27, 2020 11:10 AM MDT

Are we there yet? AARRGGHH! It is of no comfort at all to me to know you are facing the same hot highs as we are. Misery DOES NOT LOVE COMPANY! I know YOU know that but others may not. Our projected high for FRIDAY? 106. Good golly and dabnabbit! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 27, 2020 11:12 AM MDT

We've had near 90 and 90+ weather all last week and this week doesn't seem to look any better.  Some of those days were so humid that it felt like it was 100+.  I could never live in a perennial warm/hot climate.
      July 27, 2020 11:15 AM MDT

Me too neither! Wait a minit. I do! YIKES! Thank you for your reply L. It doesn't get super hot in Honolulu but it almost always MUGGY. The trade winds come in and its very little relief. They don't have air conditioning as much there. Not really a comfy environment for us if it were all year long! A swell place to visit but not so much to live. By the way Hawaii is devastated being a tourist place. I don't know if they can recover from this virus. Sad.
      July 27, 2020 11:18 AM MDT

Yes, all the places that reply on tourism are seriously hurting.  
      July 27, 2020 12:06 PM MDT

I hope they can come back. Jim says Hawaii is just too beautiful not to come back. From his lips to.....the universe. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 28, 2020 4:18 AM MDT

Eventually, this pandemic will pass.  The question is how much damage it will cause before it does.  Many things are going to change.  Now that employers see that many of us can work from home, how will the white collar landscape be changed?  How many small businesses will not survive and how many of those workers in those businesses will not be able to find employment?  This pandemic has far-reaching consequences.
      July 28, 2020 9:40 AM MDT

Any idea how long this "eventually" will be? Months or years? For retirees it is much less a problem of course. We don't have jobs. Our kids are grown. We just have ourselves to provide for and so far nothing has changed for us vis a vis that. But at any time it can so it's not that we're unworried. Any day pumpkin can strike a blow to us in any way he pleases and how do we fight that? Well wait until we get to that bridge. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 30, 2020 10:44 AM MDT
      July 30, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

Well, if everyone had done what they were supposed to do - masks, distancing, etc. - we might have been on the other side of it by now, but there are still areas that are hot spots, so who knows how long it can go on?  Not as much has changed for those who can work from home either except if you have children that need teaching and you still have to do your job.  I don't envy those who are in that position although it's better than being out of work and getting no pay or having to live on unemployment.  What is more worrisome is how many jobs may fall by the wayside when this is all over.  The larger companies will be more likely to hire back most of their staff, but the smaller ones could be in serious trouble.  No telling how many mom and pop businesses will have gone under by that time.  
      July 30, 2020 6:42 AM MDT

Right now that unemployment stipend of $600 will end tomorrow. The GOP is bickering among themselves and I believe 20 of them said they would not vote for another dime for any reason. So moscow mitch can't get his horses to line up. Makes him look like what he is...weak and impotent. As they fadiddle about among themselves people will be having an even harder time trying to stay afloat. Some in the GOP WANT to cut the $600/week down to $200 while those obstinate 20 insist we've already paid too much out. Why do these idiots think anyone will vote for them or won't remember what they did? I don't get it! Thank you for your thoughtful reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 1, 2020 7:35 PM MDT
      July 30, 2020 7:06 AM MDT

But they have billions to move troops out of Germany and Trump wants to erect another FBI building.  What's wrong with the one we already have?  Anything to spend money unnecessarily.
      July 30, 2020 9:43 AM MDT

Is it better to leave the troops in Germany? Aren't we supposed to avoid foreign military involvement?
      July 30, 2020 10:43 AM MDT

We've had our troops in Europe since the end of WWII.  It isn't like they're bringing them back to the U.S.  They are splitting them up between Italy and Belgium, so how does that keep us out of foreign military involvement? This post was edited by SpunkySenior at July 30, 2020 10:52 AM MDT
      July 30, 2020 10:51 AM MDT

Fair point. But do we know the marginal cost of relocating them or is this mostly railing against whatever Trump does or doesn't do?
      July 30, 2020 10:54 AM MDT

The Secretary of Defense did not have an exact number, but said it could be in the single-digit billions.

https://news.yahoo.com/nearly-12-000-us-troops-175543417.html
      July 30, 2020 11:12 AM MDT

OK.
      July 30, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

With all due respect, we all know how much Trump detests Angela Merkel.  He claims he's doing this because Germany hasn't met it's NATO contribution, but it would seem that to take steps to redistribute our troops at a cost of billions of dollars is like cutting our nose to spite our face.  How does that help Germany up their payment?  
      July 30, 2020 11:33 AM MDT

Over 1/2 of the 12,000 troops being moved are moving back to the US (6,400) the rest are being relocated in Europe.  To country you are willing to pay their share of the cost. 

https://apnews.com/85ecdd667630d491d544a132e27b35ba
      July 30, 2020 12:37 PM MDT

And those moves will still cost us billions of dollars.  Is there nothing you aren't willing to go along with when it comes to Trump and his need to get back at people who don't kiss his rear end?
      July 30, 2020 1:04 PM MDT

If a country agrees to pay/spend a specific amount....they should hold up to their end of the agreement. And the fact is Germany does not spend the 2% of GDP they have long agreed to spend to protect Europe from Russia.  And then they have the nerve to purchase oil from Russia on top of that. We should have pulled out of their country years ago. 
      July 30, 2020 1:29 PM MDT

The US buys crude oil and petroleum products from Russi, so why shouldn't Germany?  I tried to copy the chart here showing how much we buy, but it didn't format.  However, you can find it by this link:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIM_NUS-NRS_1&f=M
      July 31, 2020 8:17 AM MDT

If they spend what they have agreed to on their defense then it would not apply.  But do not expect the US to defend you when you are doing your obligations.  We fulfill our obligation to spend at least 2% of on our military. 
      July 31, 2020 9:12 AM MDT

How many other countries in NATO have not met their obligation?  There are 28 countries in NATO.  As of December 2019, only the US, UK, Poland, Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia have met or exceeded their 2% obligation.  That means 27 countries, many of them European and Scandinavian, have not, yet Trump wants to make an example of Germany because he doesn't like Angela Merkel.  Note that the countries which have met or exceeded the 2% (other than the US an UK) are countries that would most likely be in the cross-hairs of Russian aggression.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/12/03/nato-summit-the-countries-meeting-the-2-threshold-infographic/#68d87aa61f2c

July 31, 2020 10:06 AM MDT

He is a crackpot wackadoodlenoodle congenital compulsive LIAR L. We all know that. Whatever comes out of his mouth started in his head so we know the value of it. Which is to say there is none. I think insanity must be a communicable disease which has infected all his adoring peeps and toady sycophants. How else do you account for the mass numbers of zombies robots who worship him? Geez we see it in movies and are living in our real lives. I prefer the movie version. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 31, 2020 2:46 AM MDT