Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Here's the poop Republicans are floating. Plenty of jobs people refuse to go back to. Make more money on unemployment. That's it?

Here's the poop Republicans are floating. Plenty of jobs people refuse to go back to. Make more money on unemployment. That's it?

Not that they are TERRIFIED of catching the virus WHICH IS CURRENTLY MASSIVELY SURGING AGAIN?

Not that at all?

Not worried about what will become of their children?

Not that at all?

It all comes down to greed and being lazy then? The virus is no problemo. It's that other stuff that keeps them home? I see. How brilliant a conclusion. Well all the concluders we know are brilliant with IQ's of at least 10 and as high as 65! Yes 140 is genius and 100 is AVERAGE but they at 65 know it all. Even the tens think they know it all too.

Low IQ needs a place to live and breathe too. Republican party to the rescue.

Posted - July 27, 2020

Responses

Help wanted signs up at almost every store in in my town. 

I understand wanting to keep that gravy $600 a week rolling in. (I would be all over it too)
    But there are jobs and we need to get people back to work.  They are going to extend it but put a cap on it so you will no longer make more on UE than you do working. 
      July 27, 2020 7:51 AM MDT

You need to realize that the conditions where you live aren't the conditions everywhere else.  You keep making judgments based on your little corner of the world.  There's a bigger world out there and for some, $600 doesn't pay their mortgage/rent, food, kids, etc.  
      July 27, 2020 10:57 AM MDT

And in those places....I am sure they are recieving more unemployment than what people get in my corner of the world as well. As it is based on whatever your income was when you were working as an employee.

My unemployment did not pay my bills either. But it did help. This post was edited by my2cents at July 27, 2020 5:45 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 5:41 PM MDT

In New York, the maximum amount of weekly benefits you can receive is $405.  Try living on that in New York City or pretty much anywhere else.

The maximum benefit anyone can earn is $275 per week. Florida’s maximum time for collecting unemployment benefits is capped at 12 weeks.

Here's a list of unemployment benefits in all the states.  Note that the highest amount is paid in Alabama - $451 per week.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/how-much-money-unemployment-benefits-by-state-2020-4 This post was edited by SpunkySenior at July 28, 2020 9:49 AM MDT
      July 28, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

$600/week is more than enough for "good living" - especially if you are where your landlord can't evict you for non-payment, during the COVID pandemic.

I know we've had a few people refuse to return from layoff, citing that it is "too dangerous" - despite the fact no one who has been working here, even those exposed to COVID patients, have been infected.
      July 27, 2020 10:05 AM MDT

You mean at YOUR job Walt? May I ask do you each wear a mask and is social distancing possible? I have to confess I'm very scared...with the massive uptick in California EVEN THOUGH OUR GOVERNOR DID THE RIGHT THING at my age and Jim's everyone everywhere could bring our deaths. Glad I don't have to decide whether to be or not to be at work. Glad I don't have young kids depending on me for their security safety continuity. Just glad being old. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Monday to thee and thine! It's gotten SO UGLY in Portland. Condolences! :( This post was edited by RosieG at July 27, 2020 10:58 AM MDT
      July 27, 2020 10:42 AM MDT

It's required that everybody coming in gets screened and wear a mask ... whether it is employee, patient, or visitor.
    And they only allow 1 visitor/day for each patient.  OB is even stricter, as the visitor isn't supposed to leave the unit.
    Employees must wear an N95 "surgical" mask.  Visitors/Patients are allowed to wear cloth, but encouraged to wear the same as employees.
    Employees with possible exposure or symptoms are sent home / told not to come to work for 14 days.

July 27, 2020 11:08 AM MDT

Sounds like they are up on everything and doing everything they should be doing! Well m'dear that is very good to know. I wonder how many others places employees work as lucky as you? Thank you for your reply Walt! Do you work close to home or do you have a long commute?
      July 27, 2020 11:10 AM MDT

I have about an hour commute (Longview, WA to Astoria, OR).
    But there are people who live in Longview and have to commute up/down I-5 for work, so I figure my drive down the scenic highway is better.  Better view, and less traffic. 
    Plus, when the temperature in Longview is too hot for me ... it's about 10-20 degrees lower in Astoria, due to it being closer to the coast.
      July 27, 2020 11:27 AM MDT

That's a pretty long commute? How are gas prices up there? I know California gas prices are probably the highest in the nation because we switch formulas during summer to do what I don't know. Are your hours flexible? Could you leave earlier than rush hour to go to work and leave work earlier to avoid rush hour when driving home? I had a job where I started my day at 6am and left at 3pm! Avoided going to work and coming home traffic. A lot of the work I did didn't involve other people though and perhaps your job does. Anyway it sure worked for me back in the day! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 27, 2020 11:32 AM MDT
      July 27, 2020 11:31 AM MDT

6am to 3pm is pretty much my hours, so I miss what little rush there is ... even during fishing season.
    I think gas prices are about $2.50/gallon.  I don't really watch them, until they get around $3/gallon.
      July 27, 2020 11:36 AM MDT

Whoa Walt! Seriously? Your today hours are what my 30 years ago hours were? Oh boy. Okay. I'm always on the lookout for stuff like this and I will ask you what I always ask to which I never get any answers! WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT?

I don't know how to calculate it so I don't know if its an impossible question to answer or  possible. But I always am amazed at such coinkydinks. Always. Thank you for your reply. Boy $2.50/gallon? I think Jim paid $3.85 at the last fillup. Well it's more expensive to live in California. To that I say AARRGGHH!  Not to you thought. To you I say "that's great!"! :)
      July 28, 2020 5:56 AM MDT

Plenty of jobs?  HA!  The main job opportunities around here right now are in nursing homes.  Seems a lot of the people who used to work there quit (gee, I wonder why).  There are 2-3 restaurant jobs, but hours are very limited (2-3 hrs/wk.).   At minimum wage that’s not enough to live on (plus they’d prefer female applicants).

This post was edited by Shuhak at July 27, 2020 1:10 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 1:09 PM MDT