Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This is no joke. I have pals in Australia and Canada who speak of ABORGINALS in their countries. Are all aboriginals related?

This is no joke. I have pals in Australia and Canada who speak of ABORGINALS in their countries. Are all aboriginals related?

Are the Australian and the Canadian ones members of the same family? Anyone know?

Posted - July 28, 2020

Responses

Hi Rosie, 
    "Aboriginal" as I understand it is just another word for "indigenous". Nowadays it is applied mainly to Indigenous Australians, although I have come across it used in other contexts; referring, for example, to the indigenous people of Siberia, or the highlands of Taiwan. It may have been used in Canada too, but I was under the impression that the term "First Nations" was more widely accepted.
    Anyway, Happy Wednesday!
      July 29, 2020 10:09 AM MDT

Hi Rev! You're not kidding? So Eskimos are "aboriginals" and Native Americans are oboriginals? I thought of aboriginals as having bones horizontally through their noses...wearing loin cloths and topless and always carrying spears in hand to defend themselves. Oh and always barefoot. I do appreciate your stopping by to share what you know. I guess I have to do some research. Does every country have indigenous people? So all countries have aboriginals? Oy vey it's very confusing! Still doing well you and yours I hope? Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Wednesday! :)
      July 29, 2020 10:27 AM MDT

The only relationship really is that of all being of the same species - Homo Sapiens. We dispersed so widely and so long ago from our African origins that our own ancestors adapted to the regions they settled.

"Indigenous" or "Aboriginal" really only implies lines of descent back very many generations to that prehistory in one region, long before anyone thought of calling anywhere a "country"; but many parts of the world saw so many migrations back and forth over the millennia that such lineage is really more applicable to lands where that was rare. 

A sizeable trade has developed in DNA tests alleged by their sellers to show to which part of the world you could be said to be indigenous - but they are based on sweeping generalisations, and are by no means accurate or meaningful!  

The stereotypes you describe may have fitted the residents of some lands as found by settlers from Europe, and may still apply in a few very remote places; but illustrates ways of life. It is not the definition of "aboriginal" or "indigenous".
      July 29, 2020 5:05 PM MDT