Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We used to laugh at those to whom publicity was their everything. "Say anything about me just spell my name right!" Still laughing?

We used to laugh at those to whom publicity was their everything. "Say anything about me just spell my name right!" Still laughing?

Posted - July 31, 2020

Responses

We also used to view most people who made their living by entertainment, as little more than prostitutes.
    It makes sense, because both groups get paid to do with their bodies as the client wishes.
    I think that changed about the same time as we no longer allowed production companies to "own" the actors/actresses signed with them.
    Once they started making large amounts of money, they somehow gained respect - and their opinions mattered more than normal.

Personally, I still think of them as on the same level as prostitutes.
      July 31, 2020 12:02 PM MDT

I am not now nor have I ever been among that "most". I never understood WHY entertainers were looked down upon. Loose morals? How much do you want to bet that many of the looker downers cheated on their mates and income tax and whatever they could? How could anyone look down on talent that could move you to tears?  Know what I think? All those hoity toity looker downers were JEALOUS and so like pumpkina** that attacked insulted because they could never be that.

You look on entertainers as prostitues do you? Gregory Peck in TO kill a Mockingbird? Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz? Ingrid Bergman in Joan of Arc? You are seriously damaged in my opinion if that is what you truly believe Walt. Jimmy Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy. Do you think Lassie was a prostitute? Boy you really threw me with that one. Well we are on other worlds about that. Barbra Streisand singing "PEOPLE". Mario Lanza singing anything. Eleanor Powell tap dancing...said to be the GREATEST TAPDANCER WHO EVER LIVED. Fred Astaire was in awe of her and thought dancing with her was  always gonna make him come out second best. Ever see An American In Paris? Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron? What about Ronald Coleman in A TALE OF TWO CITIES. "It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done. It is a far far better place I go to than I have ever been". Well I know you're bored with this and you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. It's just that you SHOCKED the he** outta me. Apologies. Carry on as you were. SIGH. Boy you never know what you're gonna find out about folks you thought you knew. My bad. This post was edited by RosieG at July 31, 2020 12:42 PM MDT
      July 31, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

What is a prostitute, basically?  Somebody who takes money to do what the client tells them.
    An actor does the same thing.  

Nor do I see anything inherently wrong with either profession, from an objective viewpoint.

So yes, to me, actors are no different from prostitutes.
      July 31, 2020 12:45 PM MDT