Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Superbugs. Virus and bacteria are SMART enough to keep morphing into something else constantly trying to stay "alive". Always ahead. WHY?

Superbugs. Virus and bacteria are SMART enough to keep morphing into something else constantly trying to stay "alive". Always ahead. WHY?

What is the mechanism within them to trigger that? Survival of the fittest INCLUDING virus and bacteria?

Automatic? So survivial is the most important thing at any level of "life"? Change however you must over the generations and centuries and epochs and milleniums?

Maybe all life has inbuilt programming we don't quite understand.

The virus bacteria superthings are always ahead of us. We are unable to anticipate the next iteration so we can never be prepared for it. Why is that?

Posted - August 6, 2020

Responses

That is adaptation at work.

Most living organisms can do that, but micro-organisms are so simple they adapt more easily and rapidly than complicated things like daisies and horses and humans. 
      August 6, 2020 3:46 PM MDT

Much to uur dismay. Better they should NOT adapt and just die out. How did we get rid of SMALLPOX Durdle? Isn't POLIO extinct too? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 7, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Smallpox was eradicated mainly by massive innoculation campaigns, but I don't know if there were others controls too.

Polio is still endemic in some parts of the world. It can be vaccinated against but the difficulty is that some of the worst affected countries are ones ruled by war-lords who stop any attempts to have it done. Mainly it's because they fear and mistrust anything from "the West".

And now of  course we've seen anti-vaccination campaigners in other parts of the world that don't have such fears, wanting such diseases to be common again.
      August 7, 2020 2:10 PM MDT

I didn't know polio still existed in parts of the world. I know the anti-vax folks exist. In what numbers I don't have a clue. But why would they want disease to be common again? Why do they jeopardize the lives of their children for whatever fears they can't seem to control? You have a problem. You have a solution. You refuse to do anything about it. How does that make any sense. Sheesh. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle. :)
      August 8, 2020 3:18 AM MDT