Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Yin and Yang are essential to keep balance in the world. I expect that is what Devil's Advocates do. Balance things out. Are you one?

Yin and Yang are essential to keep balance in the world. I expect that is what Devil's Advocates do. Balance things out. Are you one?

Posted - August 8, 2020

Responses

I do use Devil 's Advocacy sometimes to try to see or explain the opposing view or action, so it can help balance debates; but it does not itself make the user neutral.
      August 8, 2020 4:48 PM MDT

That's what is so puzzling to me Durdle. You may well agree with someone's view but you take the opposite view just for mental stimulation or exercise I expect. If you REALLY believe what you say then you are not a Devil's Advocate. At least in my understanding of it. To be a good debater you have to be able to do it. To be a good lawyer you would have to be able to do it too. Argue a point you do not necessarily share and argue it so convincingly you win. That's why I'd make a lousy lawyer. I doubt that I could argue anything convincingly in which I did not wholeheartedly believe. Once upon a time many decades ago I started Law School. Folks would tell me "you'd make a good lawyer" so I took a flyer. I think it was the Southwest Law School in L.A. Not a top school by any means. I lasted a month and then realized it was not and never would be my cuppa tea. I cannot argue anything in which I do not believe. It's just not in me. I do appreciate it when I encounter one though it can be annoying. It forces you to see "the other side" and there is merit in that. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 9, 2020 1:59 AM MDT