Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Per author F. Scott Fitzgerald. "The rich are different from you and me". He didn't say how. How?

Per author F. Scott Fitzgerald. "The rich are different from you and me". He didn't say how. How?

Posted - August 8, 2020

Responses

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we are. They are different. ” – F. Scott Fitzgerald

According to Mr. Fitzgerald, the answer to your question is this – The rich think they’re better than everyone else is.  They cannot fathom empathy for anyone who is “unlike” themselves.  They don't see people, they see status.

August 8, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

Especially the NOUVEAU RICHE. If you are BORN to it sometimes you develop NOBLESSE OBLIGE...to whom much is given much is expected. The old money can often be used in charitable foundations to help people. Of course they benefit from tax writeoff. Which is not to say that a few nouveau riche are not philanthropists! They are. They are the ones who remember from whence they came and want to give a helping hand to those less fortunate. I suppose it is unfair to stereotype folks. I have encountered some supercilious SOBS's who were poor. I'm sure on the other side there are very rich who are not full of themselves nor do they "lord it over" others. Stereotype..shorthand for categorizing and grouping and segregating and setting apart.  Thank you for your reply Shuhak. They often "name drop" and "thing drop" (ROLEX WATCHES) and "place drop"(THE HAMPTONS) and travel drop (MONACO) and yacht drop (when we were in the Mediterranean on ignatz's 300 foot yacht). Like that. Meant to impress. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 9, 2020 1:04 PM MDT
      August 9, 2020 5:44 AM MDT