Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What is the coldest environment in which homo saps could live and survive? What is the hottest? What will be worse?

What is the coldest environment in which homo saps could live and survive? What is the hottest? What will be worse?

A future that gets progressively colder or one that becomes progressively hotter?

60 below zero F
130 above zero F

Survivable if constant relentless endless?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

Either spells disaster. Humans can modify their environment to survive in any climate - but our food crops can't.
      August 9, 2020 4:37 AM MDT

Oh gosh I didn't once think of that R. Not once. So our food sources MUST be able to survive for us to survive. So what is the coldest temp food can be grown in and the hottest? I guess the tropics with all their luscious fruits would not have a problem. But COLDEST? If the ground freezes and it snows a lot the "growing" season would be very short. Know what I read awhile back? Soon the ocean will be our main or only food source. That we may well strip the lands of the ability to grow anything. Nothing to eat in the sky. We render the earth barren. Only the sea to sustain us. How long would it take to kill that too? SIGH. Thank you for your reply R!  Ever have a vegetable garden that flourished? I did sorta long ago. Zuccini was the star. Picking cucumbers and strawberries and green onions and carrots too. Never had luck with tomatoes though! But I digress! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 9, 2020 4:43 AM MDT
      August 9, 2020 4:42 AM MDT

Higher temperatures are probably the more dangerous but both would have severe repercussions if sufficiently widespread.
      August 10, 2020 11:57 AM MDT