Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does your country allow/encourage absentee voting and mail-in votes for whatever reason you choose to elect to do it?

Does your country allow/encourage absentee voting and mail-in votes for whatever reason you choose to elect to do it?

Or must you show up at a polling place on the day you vote?

What if you are house bound, old, ill or don't have a way to get there?

As usual the "head" is making A BIG STINK about mail-in votes saying it will cause much FRAUD and he will lose the election because of it.

We've had voting my mail exclusively in a few states for YEARS and absentee voting and mail-in options in many others states for Years. NO FRAUD until the "head" showed up. Odd that.

The "head" said not a word about mail-in votes in 20106 though he did insist the election was rigged. He told the truth. It WAS RIGGED IN HIS FAVOR.

Anyway I digress. How do you vote? By mail or in person?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

Absentee voting is allowed. You must have a valid reason for not being able to vote in person. I know this year Covid concerns are a valid reason.   
    As always the voter much request the ballot. Ballots will not be blanketly mailed out.

There is fraud every year. People are arrested and charged on a regular basis.  This post was edited by my2cents at August 9, 2020 8:10 AM MDT
      August 9, 2020 8:07 AM MDT

The UK system provides for proxy voting.

It has experimented with postal voting in a few cities but found it can be abused.

Otherwise you don't see the voting-slip until you attend the polling-station for your voting ward (area) in person and are noted on an attendance register. Then you are given the slip with its list of candidate and their parties, on which to mark your choice in private, fold and put in the ballot-box.

This applies to both local-government and national ('General') elections. We have a good half-dozen parties nationally but not all can find candidates for every constituency.

I don't know how we'd run an election in pandemic lock-down conditions, but I don't think it would be any more difficult to manage than shopping. 
      August 10, 2020 11:49 AM MDT

Abused in what way(s) Durdle? I refer to "postal voting". How does "proxy" voting work exactly? We used to go to our local polling station to vote. But then when I got cancer in 2008 I elected then to vote by mail and so did Jim. I mean I was 70 and Jim was 72 so it really made sense for us anyway We've voted by mail ever since and until now there was never any question about its authenticity validity and dependability. It is no coincidence of course that now under the pandemic panic of pumpkina** everything is a threat to him. SIGH. I'd sure love to rewind back to before him and find a way to stop him before he started. IF ONLY. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 11, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

I think the sort of problems they found with postal voting are impersonation and multiple or suppressed votes. The system itself is reliable, but I think they found evidence of people bypassing it in some way.

I'm not sure how the proxy method works because I have never used it, but the general principle is the voter nominates the proxy who needs prove own identity as such at the polling-station.     
      August 11, 2020 4:50 PM MDT

I see. So if someone is incapable or unable to do it him/herself a proxy stands in and does it? Were the problems found with postal voting extensive or minimal? I wish homo saps did not have the CHEATING dna within them. I'm going to ask if it can be 'fixed". Thank you for your reply Durdle. This post was edited by RosieG at August 13, 2020 3:48 AM MDT
      August 12, 2020 4:47 AM MDT

Yes, but it is by the intending voter's  choice.

I doubt cheating can ever be cured, but I think the problems they found were considered extensive enough to have the experiment stopped or extensively modified. I think it was only a trial, in some cities.   
      August 12, 2020 2:42 PM MDT

My new night terrors? Voting. I had a hard time going to sleep last night worrying about it. The vile "head" appointed a wealthy campaign contributor to the job of POSTMASTER GENERAL and he is already slowing down mail delivery. I think a FIXED RIGGED election is inevitable. What do we do about that now when the apparatus set up in the Constitution (Check and Balance System) is MIA. The vile "head" branch has consumed the legislative and judicial branches so they are not part of it and him and crippled and deformed and infected and USELESS. Woe is me. Oh well let's see what aweful the vile "head" throws at us today. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply.
      August 13, 2020 3:51 AM MDT

Absentee and pre-poll voting is permitted. Postal voting only in special circumstances.
    I have done both - absentee when away from my district on polling day, pre-poll when I had to be in transit on the day.
      August 11, 2020 2:56 AM MDT

Was there ever any kind of controversy about the honesty of voting like that R? Any glitches or "cheating" found in any place? I know you know what the a** is doing here. Trying to murder the post office anyway he can. Disgusting. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 12, 2020 4:49 AM MDT

Ergo special circumstances. There must be a valid reason why it is absolutely impossible to vote in person, given that aged care facilities and hospitals are designated polling places for patients. If a person is physically unable to vote in person but still wants to, then it's scrutinised to the nth degree.
      August 12, 2020 4:51 PM MDT

Why can't just preferring to vote by mail because it is more convenient to do so be enough of a reason? You know we started voting by mail after I had cancer surgery in 2008 and months of chemo. It just worked out better for me and then Jim started voting by mail too. I am 82 and he is 84. I will be 83 BEFORE November 3 and I'll be dam*ed if I want to stand in line with vile "head" supporters and be surrounded by mystery meat weaponized camouflaged thugs there to intimidate which I AM CERTAIN is going to happen. Even so I think this year it will not matter one whit. The vile "head" and his toady sycophants (the new post master is one of them) are already working to give him what he wants. Slowing down mail delivery for one thing. I have noticed the difference in the last few weeks and they have only just begun. SIGH. By voting day who knows if there will be any country left at all? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 13, 2020 3:47 AM MDT
      August 13, 2020 3:46 AM MDT

For the reason Durdle mentioned - it's open to abuse. What's to stop a Trumpican from obtaining your details and casting mail-in votes for His Royal Orangeness on your behalf?
      August 13, 2020 3:53 AM MDT

That's the line that the vile "head" is using to prevent voting by mail. "It will be abused and much fraud will occur". Now for many DECADES we have had voting by mail. I believe OREGONIANS ONLY VOTE BY MAIL. Why all of a sudden this year will what we've done for DECADES without any problem become a problem? WHY in 2016 didn't the vile "head" whine his a** off then about the fraudulent act of voting by mail? I DO NOT BUY IT! Sorry for shouting. But when anyone mimics what the vile "head" says as you just did I go off. AARRGGHH. Sigh. Thank you for your reply. I did not mean to bite your head off. It happens. Everyone says so. Build the wall. Lock her up. Send her back. I am the chosen one. I know mor than the generals. I am the only one who can fix it. Don't believe what you or hear. That is not what is happening.
      August 13, 2020 4:21 AM MDT

People have been complaining about blanket vote by mail for decades.  People are arrested every year for voter fraud.
      August 13, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

I have learnt a bit more today about the UK's voting system so can confirm what I have posted.

I was unsure of postal and proxy voting because I have never used them, but we can use them. You start by applying to do so on the appropriate  official form.

This much was clear on a county-council circular that arrived in today's post, verifying names and addresses for electoral and other purposes. It asks you to notify any changes to held details including whether you vote in person at a polling-station or by post or proxy; and cites the appropriate application-forms. 

It also asks verifying if over-75, the maximum age for being called up for jury-service in the UK. So far at least, I have escaped that honour! 

How to verify? The efficient way, by default. It quotes your details already known, and you reply only to notify any changes. 
      August 13, 2020 11:58 AM MDT