Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What's proper protocol when vehicles going in opposite directions must share a one-lane bridge?

What's proper protocol when vehicles going in opposite directions must share a one-lane bridge?

If two cars show up at once and both need the bridge, I would assume whoever gets there first uses the bridge first.

But, yesterday, I came across one where I was the third car in a row heading one direction (for argument's sake, we'll say we were westbound, but I really have no idea since we were in twisty-turny mountain roads...) and one car was headed eastbound. The leader of the pack with the westbound traffic arrived at the bridge first and proceeded onto the bridge without hesitation and the eastbound car waited by default. I figure the bridge was maybe as long as 10-15 vehicles... it took maybe 30-60 seconds to cross the bridge. In other words, it really didn't add much time onto the wait if the second two cars went, but if either of the second two paused to let opposing traffic go, they would have waited for both groups to cross- roughly 1.5-2 mins. 

The question is, should the second and third cars in my group have gone? Or should we have waited since the eastbound car was at the bridge before us? 

Posted - August 16, 2020

Responses

IMO the second and third car should have followed the first. Same like construction sites. 
      August 16, 2020 6:04 PM MDT

oh yeah all at once
    and a nice thank you wave
    to the one that waited,
    or a couple of horn beeps
    high five.
      August 16, 2020 6:53 PM MDT

If it presented a problem I would get out and direct traffic.  Yes, I've done that before.  In general it should be like a blinking red light/four way stop.  Take turns.
      August 16, 2020 8:16 PM MDT

1.  How long might you stay out there directing traffic?

2.  When you determine that you have directed traffic enough that now it’s time to return to your vehicle and attempt to cross the bridge, there’s a possibility that the lack of a traffic director might result in a return to the original problem: no one knowing when to go or both sides attempting to cross at the same time, clogging the bridge. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 17, 2020 8:31 PM MDT
      August 17, 2020 9:40 AM MDT

• In this case I think alternating sides would have been a bit cumbersome. Easier for one side to clear out and then the other side goes since it's a pretty good stretch of bridge. 
      August 17, 2020 6:12 AM MDT

But as each side appears to clear out, more cars might approach the bridge and line up to cross it. Theoretically, one or both sides would continually never “clear out” completely, thereby reverting the situation back to its beginning conundrum. 

~

August 17, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

What an amateur!  The idea behind driving hundreds of miles from your normal travel patterns when you’re dumping a body is that you avoid even the slightest possibility or probability that anyone might see you and/your vehicle and commit it to memory, even subconscious memory!  Even a split second of direct eye-contact with some Nosy Nell or Nosy Neil could sink your defense case at trial. And with the advent of so many cameras being put into use these days, CCTV, traffic cameras, individual cell phones, etc., you increase the risk of being identified through unintentional filming!  Have you even considered the pooling of trace evidence that might leak onto the roadway from your vehicle’s undercarriage while you wait in a line of traffic to cross a bridge?
      This was a poorly-chosen route overall. You’ll be calling me from lockup, I’m sure of it. 

August 17, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

Just 3 then yes all three go. But if a line on both sides. Then everyone takes turns 1 car at a time. 
      August 17, 2020 4:54 PM MDT

Polite I think to let a line of traffic go through first. 
      December 7, 2020 8:56 PM MST