Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any of you experience Rolling Blackouts in the last few days? If so how many and how long did they last?

Any of you experience Rolling Blackouts in the last few days? If so how many and how long did they last?

Posted - August 17, 2020

Responses

No.  So far, this county has been off the ISO blackout list because it doesn’t consume enough power to be of consequence (bears and deer don't use AC).   However, about an hour ago I received my “official warning” that blackouts may occur from now through Thursday.  That warning leaves them off the hook with the governor.

With the strong winds and numerous lightning-sparked fires we have going on around here right now, odds are high we’ll lose power this evening - one way or another.  With the remnants of ex-tropical storm Fausto differing further to the west, the dry thunderstorms we’ve had the past few days should stay west of this location, putting an end to new fire formation. 

August 17, 2020 4:07 PM MDT

I read about that and of course thought of you and wondered how you would be faring through this. So far for us we haven't but the summer isn't over so who knows? I Googled it asking if it were just PG&E doing it and found it was also Southern California Edison...our power supplier. So each day we face that possibility. Is it EARTHQUAKE WEATHER too Shuhak? I wonder what else awaits us? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 18, 2020 12:06 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 1:48 AM MDT

How about wildfires? 

We currently have a wildfire here(I'm under an evacuation warning).  So far, it's burned 550 acres and is 5% contained.  It was probably sparked by the dry thunderstorms we had early Monday morning.  

This post was edited by Shuhak at August 18, 2020 1:33 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 12:11 PM MDT

We've had some here too Shuhak but not close enough to be a threat. You had dry thunderstorms? We had diddly. Our low temp for the day was at about 5am and it got all the way down to 78! Right now at 12:36 pm it's 106! I cahn't stend it! Well of course I can because we have to. Sigh. And well folks in Iowa have been without power for one week? If we are without power for an hour or so this is easy to take. What Iowans are facing ain't! Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 18, 2020 2:19 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 1:35 PM MDT

We had lots of dry thunderstorms.  They rolled in just before 1 Monday morning.  A loud crack of thunder shook the house rousing me from sleep.  The lightning was phenomenal.  There was more lightning than thunder.  The storms moved out of this location around 2 am, but they continued all around the North State, igniting everywhere.  Most were quickly brought under control.  However, the one we have now was in steep terrain (river canyon).  They were quick to respond and had it surrounded with retardant, but then strong winds suddenly picked up, quickly whipping it up the canyon.

August 18, 2020 2:34 PM MDT

A "dry" thunderstorm? I didn't know it had a name Shuhak. Isn't kind of oxymoronic? Storm implies wet doesn't it? Anyway I remember years ago hearing thunder and seeing lightning light up the sky and it was always "dry".  Haven't experienced things like that for years. What causes it? We get sound effects but no "activity" Thank you for your detailed reply. Exciting I bet. Scary too. :)
      August 19, 2020 2:12 AM MDT

A ‘storm’ is defined as, “a disturbance of the normal condition of the atmosphere, manifesting itself by winds of unusual force or direction”.  The word ‘storm’ usually conjures up images of strong wind driven rain (hurricane, thunderstorm, and such.).  However, a ‘storm’ doesn’t necessarily have to be wet (e.g. dust storms).

A dry thunderstorm happens when the air below the storm is so dry that most, if not all of rain that falls evaporates before hitting the ground.   You still get all the lighting, thunder and wind of a “normal” thunderstorm, but no rain.  Dry thunderstorms are very common here in the west.

Since lightning can form anywhere in a thunderstorm cell (or on the ground below), it’s very common to see bolts of lightning flash well before any rain starts to fall. 

August 19, 2020 9:44 AM MDT

Thanks once again for the info Shuhak. Much appreciated as usual! That was what happened in the DUST BOWL in Oklahoma and other states long ago. So they left and moved west. :)
      August 19, 2020 10:11 AM MDT

Nope. We used to get them due to load shedding, when demand exceeded supply in summer. Since the battery was built, South Australia has become a net exporter of power. Almost all of it renewable.
      August 17, 2020 5:13 PM MDT

"the battery"? And now you have so much power you can afford to make money off selling it? Wow. Mighty POWERFUL battery. Vas iss diss? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      August 18, 2020 1:45 AM MDT

Massive Lithium job that stores excess solar. So many homes have had systems installed that we have an embarrassment of riches. 
      August 18, 2020 5:13 AM MDT

So Australia has TONS of Lithium then? Enough for countries to invade you for and start wars?

Isn't Lithium a drug or something? Or am I confusing it with another something? Are there litium batteries in watches? How long does a lithium-powered something last compared what other sources of power there are? Thank you for your reply R! :).
      August 18, 2020 5:41 AM MDT

https://hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au/
      August 18, 2020 3:08 PM MDT

WOW! Oh my goodness R that is really beyond nifty? Why can't that same kind of thing be replicated all over the world? Thank you for providing the link. You Aussies are ahead of other countries in more than this. What does an installation like that cost to operate? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 19, 2020 1:59 AM MDT