Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Maybe folks finally understand that "we're all in this together". I wonder if the changes I'm noticing in my neck of the woords will stick?

Maybe folks finally understand that "we're all in this together". I wonder if the changes I'm noticing in my neck of the woords will stick?

Used to be strangers rarely ever made eye contact
Used to be they'd never say 'excuse me" or "after you" or "sorry I cut you off"

Now I hear an occasional "stay safe" "take care" "thank you" on top of that

So now maybe we are accepting this is our new normal. I am experiencing kinder more thoughtful more respectful more polite from others.  I hope you are too. I kinda like it. Not what caused it of course. But now if we realize we are all in the SAME boat we can row together going in the same direction. Ya think?

Posted - August 19, 2020

Responses

That's always been the norm where I live. We actually take the time to talk to each other. This reminds me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago. It's a little long, but relates to your question.
    The other day, I was at the thrift store looking for treasures. I was in the back by the electronics and a lady came by with a lamp in hand looking for a plug so she could test it to see if it works. She found one by the bathrooms, which were pretty close to where I was shopping. I saw that she was sitting on the floor and plugged it into the socket. She let out a big, loud YELP and I asked if she was ok. She said she was, and she got excited that the lamp worked. I told her I thought she got zapped and it scared me for her. She apologized and said she was ok and forgot she was in the south. Said she was from California where everyone ignores everyone else, but people here seem to care. I told here there was no need to apologize and welcomed her to the south. She had the biggest smile on her face after I said that.  
      August 19, 2020 6:16 AM MDT

Y'all come back ya hear? I had a job years ago that required my traveling to Tulsa twice a year to do an audit. One trip I stayed 10 days. It was around the Christmas holidays. It was in Tulsa I tasted my first chicken fried steak, hush puppies and fried green tomatoes. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I also noticed how very friendly people were. In the market in the other stores at the motel. Certainly at the company I was auditing. They were used to me since they saw me twice a year like clockwork. I never felt like an outsider. I felt right at home. After that 10-days when I got back to work in L.A. my co-workers were teasing me. I have a good ear for accents and apparently I was sounding kinda like a southerner in training. I had to laugh. So I have very good memories of the south though of course Tulsa is my only real visit there. As for California we are the largest state....almost 40 million of us. Many lead very busy lives and don't take time to smell the roses let along have a friendly word for a stranger. Thank you for sharing that with us. I can relate! :) I feel that is also true of New Yorkers. I have no direct experience with it only how New York is represented in movies. Rush rush rush. Too many people in too small a space elbowing one another and growling. An impression is all I will ever have. I'm sure there are many "friendly to strangers" New Yorkers. I wonder why "they" don't show us that in movies and TV shows? :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 19, 2020 6:45 AM MDT
      August 19, 2020 6:40 AM MDT

I'm glad you have those fond memories, that made me smile. 
      August 19, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

Whom would I be without those memories? Not me I know. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 19, 2020 7:04 AM MDT

Exactly! Our memories and experiences are what makes us us.  
      August 19, 2020 8:26 AM MDT

How would it impact/affect you if you were to awaken one morning with no memory of anything? Thank you for your reply glenho! :)
      August 19, 2020 9:32 AM MDT

Two reactions come to mind:
    Terrified because I had lost myself.
    Elated that I could make myself to be anything I wanted. 
      August 19, 2020 3:58 PM MDT

I'd be stuck at terrified. How would I know what talents I had if I didn't know what I was where I came from how I got there and where I was headed? I think being elated would be supremely wondrous. I don't have the "right stuff" for that I'm pretty sure. Thank you for your reply glenho and Happy Thursday! :)
      August 20, 2020 2:12 AM MDT