Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You wake up tomorrow with no memory of anything. The person there with you speaks a language you don't understand. What do you do?

You wake up tomorrow with no memory of anything. The person there with you speaks a language you don't understand. What do you do?

Or alternatively you live alone and wake up not knowing where you are, who you are or why you are there. The first place you go since you no memory of any person place of thing?

Posted - August 19, 2020

Responses

If we couldn’t understand each other, I’d use hand gestures to try to establish a very basic form of communication.   I’d also check out the surroundings (carefully); visually at first, then slowly by locomotion. 

If one woke up with NO memories whatsoever (which is not very likely due to the way the brain stores information), they would wonder aimlessly around until they either injured or killed themselves.

August 19, 2020 11:54 AM MDT

I don't know if that's even possible Shuhak but years ago I saw a movie about a guy who completely forgets what he has lived the day before so he writes notes to himself during each day and then the next day tries to figure out what they mean. I don't know if there is a disease like that but I've talked about the importance of memory to identity so it is something I fear very bigly. So far at 82 I'm all there...or so I thinnk. How can we evaluate outselves about something like that? SIGH. Meanwhile our guv declared a state ofr emergency due to our entire state being on fire and here and there small earthquakes are showing up. Buckle up! Thank you for your reply!:)
      August 20, 2020 2:34 AM MDT

Living alone, if I woke up with no memories of who I was ... the first thing I would do, is search for identification and a mirror to see if it was me.
    Then I'd see if there was any contact information - like a phone list of friends/relatives - to call for help.

August 19, 2020 2:17 PM MDT

Could you clarify what you mean when you say"....to see if it was me"? What "me" would that be? I don't even know if such a thing could happen but that's the one thing that scares me about getting older. Loss of memory. It would cause loss of identity and I can't imagine my brain being a blank slate. I'd have lost people dear to me....my parents for instance or dear friends. If I had no memory at all then they never existed to me. How scary would that be? But your point is a good one. Search for phone numbers. Sitting here writing that question that did not occur to me at all. Sometimes the plainest thing escapes notice. I think I'd go to a church for help. Maybe not. I just hope I'm never in that situation! Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      August 20, 2020 2:40 AM MDT

If I don't have a memory of who I am ... and I find a picture ID ... it doesn't mean that is my ID.
    So I would look for a mirror to see if the picture ID matches my face.
    Still doesn't mean that's really who I am ... but at least I have A name I have an ID for.
    (who knows, I could be a spy or someone with multiple IDs. lol)
      August 20, 2020 7:27 AM MDT

Oh. Right. But without a picture ID a mirror would do you no good would it? Well maybe if you found lots of photos with you in them you'd know you had a past with those others.

You mention multiple ID's but what about multiple peresonalities? That would be a wicket of a very sticky nature. Maybe one of them would retain a memory. Maybe this and maybe that. I don't want to know. It's too scary to even contemplate for me. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 20, 2020 7:36 AM MDT

Oh, that sounds like an interesting idea for a book.
    Every day you wake up with a different personality.
    What if they became aware of it, and left notes for each other?

Did you ever see the Adam Sandler movie 40 First Dates?
    The girl had a traumatic incident, and woke up each day after with no memory of anything past that point. 
    At the end, she had to watch videos to get "caught up" on her life.
      August 20, 2020 7:45 AM MDT

Here's the deal...You wrote no memory of anything, so I wouldn't know where the bathroom is and would wet myself.
      August 19, 2020 3:34 PM MDT

Toilet humor? That's the first thing that occurs to you E? Know what? That proves there's a little boy within you still and that's a good thing. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      August 20, 2020 2:30 AM MDT

Cry and writhe helplessly, given that "no memory of anything" also implies that I've forgotten how to walk, talk or do anything. Infants are born with no memory (sensory inputs while in utero don't leave a permanent memory track), that's what they do.
      August 20, 2020 3:02 AM MDT

I didn't want to take it to the extreme. AP, Rosie.
      August 20, 2020 11:02 AM MDT