Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » When I was growing up, televised awards ceremonies were some of the hottest entertainment commodities around, but now, they seem to have

When I was growing up, televised awards ceremonies were some of the hottest entertainment commodities around, but now, they seem to have

lost that luster, that pull, that influence. I know it may have been the innocence of youth, and that times have changed drastically, sure. They were once the domain of the big three TV networks, then cable came along, and premium channels, and the scope/intensity of the awards universe expanded, then the internet, etc.  It’s now been at least a couple of decades since I last had even the slightest interest in awards ceremonies  

Are entertainment-related awards ceremonies still the Big Deal that they used to be?  If not, why not?
~

Posted - August 27, 2020

Responses

The last award ceremony I watched was the Grammys. Hotel California won record of the year.
      August 27, 2020 11:44 PM MDT

Thank you. 

Oh, by the way, do you think that entertainment-related awards ceremonies still the Big Deal that they used to be?  If not, why not?
    ~

August 28, 2020 7:01 AM MDT

No.  It was as American as xxxx.  We looked forward to those events, parents and kids alike.  We trusted that those type things were fair and that the best man would win.  We looked up to those we saw in movies and on TV, not because of their politics, but because we thought their lives were interesting and when they talked to the press it was always wholesome and interesting.  We girls wanted to be pretty like the stars but we always had our moms to keep us grounded to what was important in life and that life is best lived appropriately for your current age.  Now awards shows are pure politics and everyone I know has turned their backs on such bullchet.    And, sadly, with age we have learned that too many times the best man finishes last. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 28, 2020 8:23 AM MDT
      August 28, 2020 2:23 AM MDT

Thank you. 

[What do you mean by xxxx?]

~

August 28, 2020 6:59 AM MDT

You can fill it in with apple pie, baseball, or anything you consider to be American
      August 28, 2020 8:23 AM MDT

Thank you for the clarification.
      ~

August 28, 2020 8:47 AM MDT

I have never been interested in those ceremonies except for the Baseball and Football inductions.
      August 28, 2020 8:02 AM MDT

Thank you, but I’m referring to the entertainment industry awards only, not sports-related awards. I’m well aware that some people may challenge me that sports also entertain people, and it is correct; my focus is on awards specifically for movies, television shows, plays, music. 

~

August 28, 2020 8:50 AM MDT

I have never watched any of those. Silly.
      August 28, 2020 11:29 AM MDT

It seems to me nothing but a garish display of privileged, entitled, posers patting each other on the back in the certain assurance of oggling, adoring, ordinary people lapping it up. 
      August 28, 2020 11:54 AM MDT

The industry who holds them think they’re a big deal ($$$).  Me… not really.

Why -

* There’re too many of them.  Back then, there were a few, not they seem to have at least one per month.  They’re so commonplace now that there’s little reason to care about them.  I guess if you hold enough of them, everyone will get an award of some kind (whether they deserved it or not)

* They’re fake.  There’s one thing about giving award to someone who deserves it, but these days they seem to give them to “special” people (fixed?).   Many of the (so-called) “winners” don’t have talent, they just have money or belong to a certain “class”.

* They’ve become a slut-fest.  It used to be that people would dress up nicely for these awards.  Now it’s become a competition to see how much nudity they can get away with.

August 28, 2020 12:26 PM MDT

¡ANSWER of the YEAR!  My sentiments exactly; I could not have delineated it better myself!
    ~

August 28, 2020 7:55 PM MDT

People got tired of being lectured about politics. 

They need to shut up and sing.  I do not care how they vote or if they like/dislike a politician. 
      August 29, 2020 6:34 AM MDT

August 29, 2020 6:50 AM MDT

Back then, it used to be all about the glamour and fantasy. We felt the ‘stars’ were special and almost magical. Today, it’s all about political bashing and hate. It also doesn’t help matters that more and more of our favorites are being exposed as ‘Island’ visitors.
      August 29, 2020 7:23 AM MDT